Reports To: Manager, Marketing and Communications
Status: Full-time Permanent
Application Deadline: October 21, 2015
The Mental Health Commission of Canada (MHCC) is a non-profit organization created to focus national attention on mental health issues and to work to improve the health and social outcomes of people living with mental health problems and illnesses.
The Commission’s mandate for the first 10 years was to develop a Mental Health Strategy for Canada; to implement a ten-year Anti-Stigma/Anti-Discrimination program; to create a Knowledge Exchange Centre for the mental health field and to address homelessness in the context of mental health problems. It is currently working with the Federal Government to determine its mandate taking us to 2027.
The Commission has recently begun a strategic planning process to guide its work over the coming years. One aspect of its future is to create a Mental Health Action Plan building on the Mental Health Strategy for Canada. Other priorities will be to further its anti-stigma and anti-discrimination efforts and workplace mental health. Suicide prevention is also likely to be a major focus.
MHCC is seeking an energetic, versatile and creative Digital Marketing and Social Media Specialist to join the Marketing and Communications (MarCom) team in Ottawa. Reporting to the Manager of MarCom, the Specialist will be responsible for developing and implementing the MHCC’s online presence and online marketing strategy defined by objectives in the MHCC communications strategy including but not limited to, web content, email, social media, and digital advertising and as well as generate actionable metrics.
- Build and maintain a strategic and compelling online presence for the MHCC
- Strengthen audience engagement among the general public and MHCC stakeholders through the different social media platforms
- Develop, plan and execute web, email, social media and digital advertising campaigns in order to meet and exceed the goals as defined by objectives in the MHCC communications strategy
- Measure, track and report performance activities for all digital marketing campaigns on various platforms, identifying trends and insights, and to further optimize performance
- Collaborate with internal programs and external stakeholders to research and develop web, online and social media content enhancing the experience for the digital audience
- Research and present new strategies to drive online traffic to the MHCC website and other MHCC online platforms
- Assist with the coordination and maintenance of the MHCC’s mobile applications
- Responsible for online brand presence, promoting program campaigns and raising awareness for mental health and well-being while optimizing user experience
- Research and review new technologies and keep the Commission at the forefront of all developments in digital marketing
- Provide feedback, insight and recommendation on design, navigation, user experience and functionality within the content management system
- Maintains project plans and schedule for activities
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Demonstrate experience and success in implementing digital and social media marketing strategies including managing corporate social media profiles and communities
- Strong written communications skills, in particular writing for digital and social media channels and the ability to assimilate technical information and interpret it to a non-technical audience for the end users’ needs
- Strong interpersonal skills, highly motivated, organized, and detail-oriented with the ability to handle multiple, simultaneous projects and meet tight deadlines and take direction in a fast paced environment
- In-depth understanding of current and leading edge digital marketing practices and social media trends, and digital analytics tools
- Understanding of applying brand standards and guidelines, awareness of web content layout, including knowledge of typography and basic graphic design
- Hands on experience using any of the following applications: Drupal CMS, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Salesforce, Vertical Response, Google Analytics
- Demonstrated understanding of best practices in website architecture and navigation, user interface, usability, accessibility standards and testing
- Ability to communicate in both official languages (English and French) considered a strong asset
- Able to work collaboratively and effectively with other employees and outside contacts
- Experience with photography and video editing considered an asset
- Minimum 4 years’ experience working in a marketing and communication environment with a focus on digital marketing and social media
- Bachelor degree or equivalent certification in digital and internet marketing, communications, or related field
- Interested in social issues and the mental health cause
- Values and Ethics
- Respectful of Diversity
- Continuous Learning
- Results Management
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Oral/Written Communication
- Health, Safety and Wellness (Physical and Psychological)
- Moderate periods of time spent in meeting type settings
- Extended visual requirements (5 plus hours) due to computer related work
- Extended periods of time spent in sitting position (computer work, meetings etc. 5 plus hours)
- High degree of concentration required
- Moderate level of stamina due to work time requirements with some requirements to work beyond 7.5 hour day
- Continuously deadline driven requirements
- Moderate level of multitasking
- Moderate exposure to stress resulting from output requirements.
- Moderate level requirement to maintain concentration for extended periods of time in order to perform analysis and interpretation of data and minimize errors.
- Adaptable to change (organization and work level)
- Moderate degree of emotional intelligence required in order to develop and maintain good relationships, communicate clearly, and work well in a team.
- Performance goals and objectives are established yearly and regularly reviewed.