Underknown is Toronto based, but our team is globally. We are a mission-driven modern media company with the goal to entertain, inspire and educate people around the world about science and the humanities. We are a next-generation digital media company operating 40+ owned and operated video channels on YouTube, Facebook and Snapchat - including "How To Survive" and “What If”, the #1 Science show on social media. We are obsessed with boiling down complex subjects in a fun and engaging way. We tell factual stories that entertain. Our goal is to change people’s perspectives by creating fun, educational content that makes them look to the sky instead of the ground. Underknown has over 50 Million followers and our videos are viewed by over 100 million active viewers every month. If this resonates with you, consider applying.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Are you a visual master at your craft, capable of taking a good idea and making it truly exceptional? We are looking for an Art Director who will put the conceptual development and execution of creative deliverables on your shoulders—including creating brands and communicating concepts, implementing branding strategies, and developing motion design templates with a team of inhouse designers and external freelancers. Balancing creative thinking with interpersonal skills, you champion creative concepts that align with our shows.
Reporting into the Chief Creative Officer, you will be a key part to create new publishing brands and help our existing shows get noticed. You bring an extensive creative network that you can tap into and the Chief Creative Officer will help you grow, and you’ll lead our own team of designers, copywriters, content analysts, and production specialists to excellence. Most importantly, you are driven by a passion for design, visual communication and video storytelling. You are an explorer at heart.
If you want to be an integral part of a growing in-house Creative team that will elevate the quality and creativity of all visual communication and video storytelling activities, we encourage you to apply!
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop creative concepts in video and communicate ideas.
- Balance strategic development with business objectives.
- Direct and delegate to core creative services disciplines while also keeping a hands-on approach to projects
- Directly contribute to project design and development including creating storyboards and initial graphic concepts, conceive functional design solutions, create prototypes and pilots, and provide QA of all creative deliverables.
- Mentor and coach teams through project development and performance management.
- Lead and partner with showrunners, videographers, writers, on-screen talent, motion designers and data scientists.
- Contribute to the innovative development of the design department, keeping up with the latest trends in digital storytelling.
- Participate in strategic brainstorming, show development, creative brief development, and creative execution.
- You will collaborate with external brands to create brand activations that aligns Underknown's brand strategy with the branding of the vendor.
QUALIFICATIONS YOU BRING
- You bring an extensive creative network that you can tap into to help build out our brands.
- Strong digital design portfolio with a focus on video
- Experience leading a team of designers, production specialists, and writers.
- Experience with strategic brainstorming, campaign development, creative brief development, and creative execution.
- An ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- A proven aptitude for quick creative thinking with acute attention to detail within demanding deadlines.
- Knowledge of the latest versions of Mac OS, Photoshop, and Illustrator.
- Understanding of the strengths and limitations of After Effects and Premiere Pro.
- Efficient organizational skills and a motivated dedication to the creative team.
- Eagerness to collaborate with other creative people.
- Leadership abilities to foster learning and excellence among team members.
- Illustration skills in both electronic and traditional media.
- A collaborative spirit, and the ability to work and lead across departments.
WHERE YOU WILL BE WORKING/OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION
- This is a full-time role, which allows you to currently work from home and from our office in Toronto. Subject to change at the company's discretion.
- A manager who deeply cares about your development and makes a personal investment in your career at Underknown.
- A team that trusts and wants to win together..plus share in a few laughs along the way!
- Your work will be seen by millions of people around the world.
Perfect your job application with VisualCV so you can get hired faster!