Position Title/Titre du poste
Creative Writer, Marketing Communications
Job ID/ID Travail
Postion Reports to [Title]
VP - Marketing & Communications
SCM is the largest independent, privately-owned provider of claims management, risk management, and related services in Canada. It is our commitment to strategically evolve our services and expertise to support the ever-changing challenges of our clients. Innovative technology, expert staff, and solid customer service are the hallmarks that distinguish SCM Insurance Services
Located in Windermere, Edmonton, SCM affords our employees an excellent workplace with easy access, free parking and a roof top patio. Wea re currently looking to add a Senior Creative writer to our Communications team.
In this role the Senior Creative Writer will provide quality service to both internal and external stakeholders/ clients. This individual will provide support and expertise in the development of communications strategies to support the marketing & sales of SCM products and services. As well as be responsible for written communication, company branding and industry related communications.
This is a full-time position and company benefits will be provided effective upon date of hire.
Competencies required to succeed
- Clarity of communication – Communicates effectively both verbally and in writing, using conventions proper to the situation; listens well during meetings and feedback sessions; explains reasoning behind own opinions; exercises a professional approach with others using all appropriate tools of communication; uses consideration and tact when offering opinions.
- Attention to detail – is alert in a high-risk environment; follows detailed procedures and ensures accuracy in documentation and data; concentrates on routine work details; organizes and maintains a system of records.
- Organizing & Multi-tasking – Able to manage multiple projects; able to determine project urgency in a practical way; uses goals to guide actions; creates detailed action plans; organizes and schedules people and tasks effectively.
- Teamwork with internal and external contacts – Works harmoniously with others to get a job done; responds positively to instructions and procedures; able to work well with staff, co-workers, peers and managers; helps to set a tone of cooperation within the work group and across groups; coordinates own work with others; seeks opinions; values working relationships.
- You possess a flair for creative writing, a keen understanding of successful communication strategies and are looking for a challenging, multifaceted role in which you’ll be called upon to be both a leader and a doer.
- Actively contribute to the ongoing improvement of the department’s overall output through creative thinking, strong written and verbal communication with diverse customer segments and building effective working relationships with stakeholders.
- We require both big picture thinking and attention to detail. Someone with a strong work ethic, who is accomplished in the fundamentals and is looking for a role to make a meaningful contribution.
- Provide professional writing and communications in support of SCM’s internal and external communications.
- Responsible for creating thought leadership pieces like case studies, op-eds and whitepapers
- Collaborate, write, edit and provide expertise in developing company brochures, , web content, press releases and other print materials
- Build internal relationships to gather information on important events within the organization
- Support the SCM sales team in responding to request for proposals
- Maintain consistency with the development and implementation of company branding
- Ensure the proper use of SCM’s corporate branding and external communications into such as media releases, news stories, position papers
- Develop and support internal communications by working with SCM leaders to create corporate announcements with regards to IT, HR and Finance, including editor for our internal employee portal.
- Other special projects as assigned
Education, knowledge and experience required
- University Degree or College degree in communications or public relations
- Must have 3-5 years professional experience writing for marketing and communications projects in a corporate or large agency environment
- Bilingual (French and English) considered an asset
- Self-starter, capable of working both independently and in an extremely fast-paced team environment
- Impeccable grammar, spelling and punctuation skills; CP style knowledge a plus
- Knowledge of web writing tactics (Facebook vs. blog; website vs. press release) and how to optimize for SEO
- A positive attitude and willingness to work with Brand Communications team and entire marketing organization to reach goals
- Comfortable with multi-tasking, managing multiple priorities and meeting several, often movable, deadlines under pressure
- Proficient in Microsoft Office programs including Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook
- Someone who thinks big picture but with a strong attention to detail.
- Someone with a strong work ethic, who is accomplished in communications fundamentals and is looking for a role where they will make a meaningful contribution