Community Relations Officer
Community relations and development are your passion, but you’re also well acquainted with the education system, making you ideally qualified for this pivotal, community-facing role on the Peel District School Board’sCommunications and Community Relations Support Services team.
Reporting to the Manager of Communications and Community Relations, and exhibiting your strengths as a communicator and presenter, you’ll build and strengthen our Board’s relationships with our communities with a focus on supporting student success. This will see you identifying, and liaising with, key community stakeholders, researching, developing, updating and implementing community relations activities, issues and effective practices aligned with the Board’s strategic plan and goals, as well as leading and coordinating meetings to update community partners for feedback on Board initiatives.
As a Community Relations Officer, you’ll handle community relations issues management, strategic counsel and crisis communications, coordinate the Board’s participation in community events, including planning, preparation and production of materials, and work closely with Equity staff to support Board initiatives in this area. Keeping abreast of the education industry, new legislation, and Board decisions will be essential, as you’ll be involved in content development, including communication collateral, flyers, news releases, web content, speeches, memos, template materials presentations, video scripts and emails, coordinating translation, design, programming and printing with suppliers and departments, and preparing media kits and information packages.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
With a diploma/degree, preferably in public relations, media, communications or a related field, and 5 to 7 years’ work related experience in community relations/development, you’re the knowledgeable professional and confident relationship builder the role of Community Relations Officer demands. In addition, your professional profile includes:
- Knowledge of public relations practices and principles
- Knowledge of Ministry of Education and school board policies, procedures and regulations
- Excellent written and oral communication, presentation and computer skills, including MS Office, SharePoint, and social media tools
- Extensive knowledge of the education system
- Demonstrated success in developing effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders
- Experience in issues management, special events and print production
- Ability to exercise tact and discretion in dealing with contentious, confidential and sensitive information
- Experience planning events and conferences
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the principles of equity
- A valid driver’s licence and access to a reliable vehicle
· Demonstrated commitment to working in a diverse school community and/or work environment.
The following credentials will be considered assets:
- Professional certifications (APR, ABC, PMP).
SALARY: $72,222 - $90,278 per annum (under review)
To apply for the position of Community Relations Officer, please complete an online application through www.applytoeducation.com. Your completed application package on Apply to Education must include your cover letter, resume and supporting educational credentials. Applications must be received no later than 4:30 p.m., Tuesday, October 31, 2017.
The Peel District School Board is one of the largest school boards in Canada, with more than 153,000 students in 253 schools.
We appreciate the interest of all applicants, but will only be interviewing selected candidates. For the safety of students, all school board staff need to provide a satisfactory criminal record check prior to commencement of employment.
The Peel District School Board is committed to equity in employment. We will provide reasonable accommodation, based on any of the human rights protected grounds, during the hiring process if advised in advance.