Closing Date: 12/29/2017
Salary Information: The salary range is CAD $47,386.00 - 74,042.00 per annum (Specialist Professional/Phase 1). The starting salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
Description: There is 1 opening(s) for this posting. Located in Saskatoon.
Primary Purpose: To assist the college by implementing innovative, effective and reliable communications strategies in support of the integrated plan, including key milestones, college accomplishments, research activities and various profile opportunities. This work will help build an outstanding local and national reputation for the college in support of the university’s strategic goals.
Nature of Work: Reporting to the Director of Planning and Projects, the Communications Coordinator provides tactical communications support to the College of Arts & Science, including research, writing, editing, design, visual identity, oral communications, relationship building, and media relations. This position will implement appropriate strategies and coordinate the development and production of online and print communications materials. The success of this position depends upon the ability to work both independently and as part of a team, and to maintain professional relationships that support exceptional collaboration with stakeholders. The position is project driven and will require the ability to work under pressure in a fast paced and changing environment, balancing competing deadlines and multiple tasks. The work requires meticulous attention to detail and quality of work.
- Ensure key college messages are effectively and consistently communicated to local and national audiences via online and print materials and effective placement of advertising, all according to best practices;
- Leadership in the writing, design, production and distribution of relevant, significant and timely content through multiple media channels: News stories; posters/brochures; web content; advertising; presentation tools; memos; speeches; media releases and announcements; student recruitment materials, LCD screens, social media and videos;
- Advise on and help coordinate communications strategy for related college activities, events, announcements and initiatives;
- Measure results of communications activity;
- Seek out and maintain an awareness of current college-related news and events and use this information to help the college operate with initiative and innovation in its communications;
- Provide counsel to college faculty and departments on marketing, communications and public relations;
- Work closely with university and research communications to generate media interest in the college, facilitate regular contact with target media and provide appropriate responses to media requests;
- Keep informed of developments and best practices in the fields of marketing, communications and public relations, research and other institutional accomplishments.
Education: A Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, Marketing, Public Relations or related discipline. A combination of education and experience may be considered. Additional training in graphic/web design would be an asset.
Experience: Two to three years of directly-related experience in communications design, planning, editing and writing. Knowledge of the University of Saskatchewan and academic environments, and an understanding of communication strategies and principles with proven experience in applying them in a complex environment and achieving results are assets.
Skills: Superior communication skills both verbal and written; demonstrated experience in developing and evaluating communication materials, policies and procedures; effective organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills; ability to take initiative and work collaboratively; excellent interpersonal skills, both verbal and written; demonstrated ability to exercise diplomacy, judgment and tact; demonstrated ability to balance a demanding workload, multitask and adjust to changing priorities; creativity and a good sense of design with a keen attention to detail; and proficiency with web-based applications, word processing and Adobe Creative Cloud software. Knowledge of and skills in social media platforms. Photography skills would be an asset.
Inquiries regarding this position can be directed to Andrea Wasylow at 306-966-4249.
This position is in scope of ASPA.
The University of Saskatchewan is strongly committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that empowers all employees to reach their full potential. All members of the university community share a responsibility for developing and maintaining an environment in which differences are valued and inclusiveness is practiced. The university welcomes applications from those who will contribute to the diversity of our community. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.