The Communications-Community Relations Professional will oversee the Communications & Community Relations Plan of the Agency, including implementation and maintenance of all internal and external communications, social media, marketing, fundraising, and grant writing within prescribed time frames, funding, and operational parameters.
The incumbent will play a vital role in advocacy and developing community partnerships as well as ensuring the profile of the agency is aligned with the agency’s Vision and Strategic Plan.
Strong leadership with the agency’s volunteer coordinator will allow for successful fundraising throughout the year and maintenance of effective volunteer services.
- University degree in communications, public relations, media, marketing or other related disciplines (Master’s level preferred)
- Three (3+) years of experience in Internal / External Communications inclusive of public relations, marketing or promotions that led to acquisition of necessary skills to develop, administer, coordinate, and assess an organization communications strategy and plan.
- Strong commitment and demonstrated knowledge and experience to equity, diversity, and inclusivity.
- Experience in community outreach and building community partnerships
- Superior public speaking, interpersonal, and intercultural skills with experience in engagement of youth, families, and the numerous communities within the agency’s jurisdiction
- Knowledge of diversity, equity and inclusion and the intersecting issues that impact marginalized identities (knowledge from lived experience is considered an asset).
- Demonstrated knowledge in fundraising capacity and methodology
- Proven success in researching and completing grant applications
- Knowledge and strong skills in public relations and the development and distribution of media releases/conferences
- Demonstrated creative ability and attention to detail.
- Proven familiarity with the KFL&A communities, local media centers, and the community network of public service agencies
- Proficiency in a Windows environment using Microsoft Office Suite, Windows Explorer and MS Publisher and with current social media and design software applications (InDesign, Illustrator, Microsoft Office, WordPress, Donor Perfect, internal databases, social media platforms, content management systems, etc.)
- Strong administrative, analytical, research, and organizational Skills.
- Commitment to confidentiality and understanding of privacy laws.
As Kingston is a designated French language services area under the French Language Services Act, French communication skills are an asset.
· Possess a valid driver’s license with access to a reliable vehicle.
- Demonstration of leadership with alignment of the agency’s collective Vision. Lead strategies, develop policies and implement actions to create an equitable workplace and service delivery climate.
- Oversee Volunteer Services including providing support and empowerment to the Volunteer Services Coordinator.
- In coordination with the Volunteer Coordinator, provide leadership for program planning and tactical support of volunteer services within the agency so that the needs of children, youth and families can be sustained through volunteer activities.
- Create and contribute to an equitable, safe, and healthy workplace. Contribute to a learning-focused and inclusive culture.
- Contribute to a culture within the organization, community and system that builds commitment to continuous improvement and service excellence. Effectively manage resources and deliver service to achieve quality outcomes.
- Reinforce high standards of professionalism, integrity, and ethics. Shape a result-focused culture founded on equity, respect, and compassion. Foster the values and principles of the organization.
- Lead various strategic projects throughout the agency through a defined set of project management and evaluative principles.
Health and Safety:
- Work in compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations and Agency’s health and safety policy and procedures.
- Identify and report any health and safety issues.
- Assist in the development of health and safety solutions through a Joint Health and Safety Committee representative.
- Promote health and safety in the workplace.
- Develop and implement proactive and reactive communications and media relations programs and strategies to build awareness, profile and understanding of the Agency.
- Develop a communications plan for the Agency with proposed public and media relations activities and initiatives and ensure integration with the Agency Vision, priorities, goals, and Strategic Plan.
- Provide writing and editing support to ensure branding is consistent and cohesively represented through all media outlets.
- Develop, launch and coordinate social media strategies including:
o Supporting, creating and managing related content;
o Maintaining a presence on relevant social media channels (including but not limited to blogs, microblogs, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, etc.);
o Tracking and monitoring matrix data for campaigns that use social media accounts according to budget and focus on increasing website and social network traffic;
o Developing social media standard practices for use across the Agency and;
o Maintaining a thorough knowledge of emerging technologies.
- Facilitate graphic design and produce materials for internal and external stakeholders including correspondence, bulletins, memos, newsletters, annual reports, policies, presentations, social media content, proposals, web content, and other communication products as needed by utilizing various print and digital methods to produce materials and media.
- Interact with Information Technology department and external firms in maintaining the Agency website; includes posting materials on websites such as weblinks, portals, electronic bulletin boards and signs.
- Plan and coordinate media and public relations activities and campaigns including presentations to the community, groups and special events.
- Oversee crisis communication activities.
Fundraising, Marketing, Community Relations:
- Develop and execute a short and long-range fundraising strategy for the agency with demonstrated use of knowledge and tools such as donor perfect, e-donations + e list growth.
- Lead proposals and research and complete grant applications effectively.
- Develop strong community partnerships that offer positive community relations and fundraising opportunities.
- Represent and speak on behalf of the organization during community events and engagement initiatives, including with service recipients and community partner organizations.
- In keeping with the vision and strategic goals of the agency, oversee the organization’s public relations activities including the development of news releases and other publicity materials.
- Solicit media coverage and maintain positive relations with media centres and personalities, providing news releases, responding to requests for information, and working with the Executive Director, Senior and Middle Leadership as well as various internal working groups to ensure the different media are aware of FACSFLA initiatives. Work with members of the community and media to enhance public awareness and understanding of the agency’s services.
- Plan and coordinate a variety of public relations activities and programs to evaluate the profile and interpret the responsibilities of the agency to various communities (i.e., FNIM, Black, LGBTQ2S, Equity deserving groups, business, political, academic, etc.)
- Participate in the development and implementation of provincial public relations and media strategy with OACAS and MCCSS. Work collaboratively to further the agency’s advocacy and policy goals with government relations leads, broadening and deepening both their knowledge and relationships.
- Monitor existing and proposed legislation, policy statements and government positions and advise Senior Leadership on appropriate actions.
- Monitor and disseminate media articles about that accurately reflect the work of the agency, child welfare in general and other subjects of interest that align with the agency Vision and Strategic Plan.
- Make recommendations regarding annual communication budget requirements.
- Contribute to the Society’s strategic plan in the areas of responsibility related to communications, marketing, advocacy, and stakeholder engagement. Identify risks, develop options, propose strategy and key initiatives.
- Create and maintain strong relationships working as an internal liaison with all management and staff.
- Attend Board of Directors and Board Committee meetings as required and provide support to the Board of Directors in carrying out their duties and ancillary tasks.
- Lead proposals and grant applications effectively.
- Assist the ‘Speakers’ Bureau’s’ (ongoing communications activities and speaking engagements).
- Draft speeches, comments and prepare background material for Board Chair, Executive Director, and Senior Leadership as required.
- Make recommendations on budget requirements and monitor communications expenditures.
- Complete a variety of administrative duties including, but not limited to:
o Maintaining correspondence and responses;
o Maintaining and archiving photographic records of the Society’s activities and programs;
o Filing press clippings and posting pertinent information on staff;
o Planning and coordinating assigned projects related to communication events and activities; and
o Maintaining an up-to-date media and community database;
- Complete an annual evaluation and report of public relations activities.
- Keep the Executive Director informed of all current issues and potential situations, which may have repercussions for the Society.
- Provide assistance to employees with other major Agency special projects or events.
- Assisting with the planning for the future creation of a Foundation.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
Perfect your job application with VisualCV so you can get hired faster!