Communications and Community
The District is seeking a seasoned communications professional to provide strategic leadership in all aspects of communications and community relations. This is a new, one year contract position with a strong likelihood for renewal.
Reporting to the Superintendent, the Communications and Community Engagement Manager is responsible for all District internal and external communications; including media relations, issue management, government, stakeholder and community relations and social media strategies to advance the District’s Strategic Plan and build on community support for public education.
The Greater Victoria School District provides public educational services to over 18,000 students in the Greater Victoria Area, encompassing five municipalities. To provide this service, the District has a current operating budget of $170 million and employs approximately 2,800 staff working in 29 elementary, 10 middle and 8 high schools.
- Corporate Communications: develop and implement external and internal communications plans to support the District’s Strategic Plan.
- Media Relations: develop media relations strategy; cultivate and manage effective relationships with community and industry media; respond to media inquiries; prepare press releases and messaging; organize public events; and keep ministry and community partners apprised of media developments as required.
- Community Engagement: coordinate and enhance the District’s presence in the community; and develop and coordinate stakeholder engagement.
- Social Media: develop, monitor and coordinate District social media presence.
- Greater Victoria School Board Foundation: develop and coordinate community outreach and create and manage network of supporters.
This Position Requires:
- Strong communications skills; including the knowledge of and experience with corporate communications, issues management and community, media and government relations.
- Solid understanding of a wide variety of media formats and experience as a spokesperson.
- Proficient in a wide variety of social media platforms and public dissemination of information techniques.
- Demonstrated and exceptional verbal and written communications skills.
- Ability to cultivate effective working relationships with a variety of District staff, senior officials, trustees and stakeholder groups.
- Understanding of the District’s cultural and political environment with up-to-date knowledge of public education issues.
- Motivated and quick learner with excellent problem solving skills.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in managing sensitive issues and information.
Education and Experience:
- Post-Secondary in the areas of Communications, Public Relations or Journalism.
- 5 to 7 year of experience in communications, preferably for an education institution or entity; provincial government, crown agency, municipal body or media organization.
This position is excluded from union membership under the BC Labour Relations Code.
Please submit letter of introduction, résumé and references to:
Human Resource Services
Greater Victoria School District #61
556 Boleskine Road, Victoria, BC V8Z 1E8
Email: email@example.com / Fax: 250-475-4113
Deadline for submission is: 4:00 PM, Thursday, June 9, 2016.