Job Number: 267311 temporary full-time position lasting up to 18 months in accordance with Article 18.02 of the Collective Agreement
Are you a passionate communications professional looking to apply your creative energy and talents to meaningful work that serves your community?
Do you have some great ideas on how to inform the public about the range of services and programs related to essential utility services such as waste reduction, recycling, drainage, and stormwater management?
In our busy and professional environment, every day brings a new challenge. Demonstrating clear writing and a comprehensive toolset of communications tactics, you’ll be directly engaged in a wide variety of activities. These include coordinating campaigns that inform residents of services available to them, and highlighting the role these services and citizen participation play in making Edmonton a great city.
As a valued member of the Corporate Communications team, you will develop and grow your experience by supporting varied client groups and service areas within Utility Services and the City Operations Department. Reporting to the Senior Communications Advisor, this position will support the communications objectives of the Utility Services Branch. You will:
- Provide strategic communications advice to your client department
- Develop and implement communications / marketing plans involving a full range of activities and projects
- Develop editorial plans, identify spokespeople and advocates, and relay compelling stories to internal and external audiences
- Liaise with advertising agencies to develop, orchestrate and coordinate marketing campaigns
- Research, draft, and proofread web content, ad copy, social media, news releases, brochures, and other communications material
- Coordinate events including media availabilities, news conferences, and other external events
- Develop communications strategies and execute communications plans for public engagement activities
- Provide approvals of web pages so they can be published on the City website
- University graduation in a communications, public relations or related field, supplemented by a minimum of 2 years progressively responsible experience in a designated public relations, public affairs or public information position
- Diploma in a communications, public relations, or related field, supplemented by a minimum of 4 years progressively responsible experience in a designated public relations, public affairs, or public information position
- Accreditation in the International Association of Business Communicators (IABC) or Canadian Public Relations Society (CPRS) is an asset
- Demonstrated exceptional writing, editing and storytelling skills
- Proven client consulting and relationship building skills
- Demonstrated extensive knowledge of strategic communications principles, techniques, and practices
- Demonstrated experience in creating, developing, implementing and evaluating innovative communication plans
- Knowledge of the requirements of mass communication media and experience in allied fields such as advertising, printing, graphics, audio-visual, and web-based communications
- Demonstrated excellent media relations, social media and issues management skills, particularly an ability in dealing with politically sensitive issues and managing complex projects and issues.
- Proven skill in supporting community relations and public engagement programs
- Experience working with contractors or consultants
- Experience working in a large organization and understanding of public administration is an asset
- Knowledge of project management methodologies and tools is an asset
Hours of Work: 33.75 Hours per week, Monday - Friday. On occasion after hours and on-call work will be required.
Salary: $40.885 - $51.523 (Hourly); $72,029.15 - $90,770.65 (Annually)
Classification Title: Public Information Officer II
Closing Date: Jun 23, 2016, 10:59:00 PM
Number of Openings (up to): 1 - Temporary Full-time
Union: CSU 52
Work Location(s): Chancery Hall, 6th Floor, 3 Sir Winston Churchill Square Edmonton T5J 2C3