The Olympic Oval currently invites applications for a Regular Full-time, Business Relations Manager.
This position reports directly to the Olympic Oval Director. The environment in which this position functions primarily is in the Olympic Oval; home to approximately 450 high performance athletes and the high performance sports training centers that provide for them. The Olympic Oval also hosts world-class events (both sporting and non-sporting) and strives to be a leader in the area of staging world class events. The Business Relations Manager will seek and bring forth new revenue generating initiatives.
The Business Relations Manager contributes to the long term sustainability of the Olympic Oval through the management of profitable events, marketing and communication strategies for the Olympic Oval. This position is responsible for the supervision and management of the Event, Communications and Marketing department and works hand in hand with the Director of the Olympic Oval and the Faculty of Kinesiology Senior Financial Analyst to ensure sound business and financial practices are upheld for the facility.
Summary of Key Responsibilities (job functions include but are not limited to):
- Provide leadership and direction in maintaining and building on the Olympic Oval's status and reputation as the premier Olympic legacy facility in the world
- Serves as a member of the Management Team and determines and implements business strategies (long term and short term) for the Olympic Oval
- Responsible for the operation of the events, marketing and communications departments and direct supervision of staff in the respective departments including hiring of new employees, work and performance review, discipline and terminations if necessary
- Directs and advises staff of the Olympic Oval as necessary to provide long term sustainability for all user groups
- Responsible for assigning work and ensuring the quality of work meets expectations of a world class facility
- Ensure successful execution of all events held in the Olympic Oval
- Explores new and innovative business development opportunities for the Olympic Oval
- Oversees the management of the Events, Communications and Marketing Department and works closely with all other departments within the Olympic Oval in all business and relevant financial related matters
- Responsible for making independent decisions with sound business rationale and is expected to impact the employment relationship with all staff in the Olympic Oval
- Ensure that all new and existing business functions are efficiently and effectively managed
- Ensure extensive corresponding records are maintained in accordance with University of Calgary policies and ensure sound contractual, financial and risk management principles
- A post secondary degree in business, event management along with several years of progressive experience
- A professional accounting designation would be considered an asset
- Strong financial and business analysis skills
- Several years managerial experience
- Extensive business and financial modeling skills including strategic planning
- Strong organizational, analytical and problem solving skills to deal effectively with complex tasks and issues
- Results oriented with a proven ability to deliver successful events, marketing and communications strategies
- Experience delivering multiple projects simultaneously
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal with excellent time management and strong organizational skills
- Ability to foster teamwork along with a commitment to working as part of a larger team
- Ability to keep confidences, execute with good judgment and carry out the duties of the position with the utmost professionalism . Must be proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Knowledge and training within a University setting would also be an asset
Application Deadline: November 18, 2010
This position is part of the Management and Professional Staff group, Zone C.