The Business Development Manager will be responsible for creating business opportunities that will build the portfolio of customer relationships for Direct Energy. This position will identify, analyze, and execute transactions directly with targeted customers. This position will also be responsible for identifying and capturing intermediate and long-term opportunities for structured origination activities, including, asset and energy management arrangements, long-term complex energy commodity transactions, energy asset development and/or acquisitions, and integrated energy service offerings to targeted customers. The role will primarily focus on establishing robust customer relationships to originate standard and structured deals in the 1 to 5 year window. Inherent in this process is an understanding of customer needs and market trends. The Business Development Manager will integrate backgrounds in physical and financial power/gas and provide unique solutions to customers, with a primary focus on utilities, co-ops, municipals and large industrial customers. This role will contribute directly to delivering on additional earnings opportunities and building the company’s capabilities and knowledge with respect to new products and services. The successful candidate will work closely with the optimization function and other business unit members across our organization to ensure profitability, deliverability and governance goals are met.
- Work in a team environment to build on the existing Direct Energy relationships and expand the customer base for Direct Energy.
- Propose and assist in evaluation of structured opportunities, which are profitable and consistent with Direct Energy’s corporate strategy and are performed in a cost-efficient and professional manner.
- Track competitor activities to ensure Direct Energy products and services are positioned effectively against such competition to capture value.
- Ensure the appropriate targeting of our customer segments a based on utilizing Direct Energy‘s unique competitive advantages.
- Formulate views on market direction, provide advice on a variety of market topics, and gather the data necessary to answer questions on short notice.
- Ensure the necessary relationships are built and engage with key stakeholders in the market enabling more effective market participation by Direct Energy.
- Propose and assist to develop innovative transaction structures, involving products such as swaps, options, hybrids, long-term fixed-price contracts, and innovative pricing arrangements. This may involve such concepts as commodity prices tied to alternative fuels and energy supply prices indexed to output. Such structures may be utilized in both short and long term marketing arrangements.
- Degree in Economics/Business/Finance/Math with clear business acumen preferred.
- Minimum of five years energy industry experience
- Specific experience in contracting would be beneficial.
- Exposure to various types of energy related services would be an asset.
- A thorough understanding of the current regulatory and market structures is required.
- Basic negotiating and communication skills along with excellent analysis and presentation skills required.
- Ability to understand and asses customer needs, and translate this into delivering high valued, quality, energy products and services.
- A demonstrated and committed team player with strong interpersonal skills and economic drive