Ubisoft Toronto is a growing and diverse team on a collective mission to create what’s next in AAA games. Whether as an elite spy, a master assassin, or a fearless explorer, we put the player at the heart of all our games. Since opening our studio in 2010, our team shipped the critically-acclaimed Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell Blacklist as lead studio, and Assassin’s Creed Unity and Far Cry 4 in collaboration with Ubisoft Montreal. In 2012, we opened our state-of-the-art Performance Capture Studio, and our Playtest Lab to help us make our games more immersive, and ultimately, more fun to play.
Our passion is to develop high quality, open world experiences and we’re hard at work on several top-secret, unannounced projects. And when we ask our team what makes our studio special, the answer is always the people.
Assistant Art Director
The incumbent will support the Art Director by ensuring that his/her instructions are followed and by carrying out a preliminary qualitative review of the graphic elements that are produced. The Assistant Art Director may also play a more important role in the artistic direction of the project within a small team.
The main and routine tasks of the Assistant Art Director are to:
- Participate in the creation of the artistic-graphic charter with the Art Director;
- Support the AD by communicating content and quality expectations to the graphics team on a regular basis and by referring graphic designers to the documents and visual references when necessary;
- Consult with artists to ensure the team adheres to the artistic charter by coordinating first-level artistic validations of graphic elements based on the AD’s artistic charter and validating graphics production;
- Write graphics quality reports for the AD;
- Create and produce graphic elements, art assets and layouts;
- Work with artists validate art elements are aligned with the art direction;
- Carry out all other related tasks.
College diploma in modeling for video games or equivalent training or work experience.
Relevant Experience & Essential Skills:
- 8-10+ years’ experience in modeling, texture, lighting, and image processing or equivalent.
- Experience in video game production is an important asset;
- Game industry experience, must have shipped a minimum of 7 AAA titles;
- Experience managing a team and giving creative direction and feedback;
- Expert Photoshop skills and intermediate skills using 3DS Max.
- Broad artistic culture an asset;
- Ability to effectively communicate the artistic direction;
- Good artistic judgement;
- Ability to review the work carried out by others and suggest improvements when necessary;
- Ability to present ideas, communicate the artistic direction, and provide constructive criticism;
- Ability to collaborate with members of the graphics team and other project teams.
- Competitive Salary
Comprehensive Benefits Package:
- Disability Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Extended medical insurance
- (Optional) RRSP contribution
- Bonus (If Applicable)
Why Ubisoft Toronto?
Scored by The Economist as the Best City to Live, our studio is located in the trendy Junction Triangle located in West Toronto, close to TTC, the hottest bars and restaurants, and excellent coffee shops. We celebrate successes as a team at our monthly UbiBash events, and invite our families to events throughout the year including our annual Kids Holiday Party and Summer BBQ. We give back to help make our community better through our team volunteer days and fundraising activities. We hold regular game jams to fuel our team’s creativity. Ubisoft Toronto conducts annual performance reviews to help our team develop their careers and grow with our studio, and provides the opportunity for salary increases annually as part of the performance review process. Ubisoft Toronto also offers a comprehensive health benefits package, generous RRSP matching, industry education support, training and career development, flexible days, on-site Yoga and Bootcamp classes, fresh fruit, Life Drawing classes, as well as spontaneous team surprises such as Pi Day, Star Wars Day, and Halloween.
We hunt for talent from across the industry – seasoned experts that know what it takes to ship world-class games and the next generation of game developer all-stars. We value team chemistry and a desire to grow our studio together. If this sounds like your kind of studio, what are you waiting for? Apply to join us now! Ubisoft Toronto is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all interested parties.
The studio welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodation upon request for candidates taking part in the recruitment process.
We thank you for your interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No agencies please.