Reports To: Manager, Marketing and Communications
Status: Full-time Permanent
Application Deadline: October 21, 2015
The Mental Health Commission of Canada (MHCC) is a non-profit organization created to focus national attention on mental health issues and to work to improve the health and social outcomes of people living with mental health problems and illnesses.
The Commission’s mandate for the first 10 years was to develop a Mental Health Strategy for Canada; to implement a ten-year Anti-Stigma/Anti-Discrimination program; to create a Knowledge Exchange Centre for the mental health field and to address homelessness in the context of mental health problems. It is currently working with the Federal Government to determine its mandate taking us to 2027.
The Commission has recently begun a strategic planning process to guide its work over the coming years. One aspect of its future is to create a Mental Health Action Plan building on the Mental Health Strategy for Canada. Other priorities will be to further its anti-stigma and anti-discrimination efforts and workplace mental health. Suicide prevention is also likely to be a major focus.
MHCC is seeking an energetic, versatile and creative Webmaster to join the Marketing and Communications (MarCom) team in Ottawa. Reporting to the Manager of MarCom, the successful candidate is responsible for implementing web initiatives in support of online strategies to achieve the organization’s strategic objectives. The successful candidate has an in-depth understanding of digital marketing and content strategy, both in English and French, and the overall user experience. The Webmaster publishes content on the website, collaborates with others on the MarCom team, in particular with the Digital Marketing and Social Media Specialist to enhance and maintain social media platforms It is the responsibility of the the Webmaster to develop and implement best practices and policies for web publishing. The individual is responsible for facilitating online requests and troubleshooting issues related to web content, and provide technical support for the Content Management Systems (CMS) across all programs and departments of the MHCC.
- Conduct evaluations of existing web content
- Act as subject matter expert to various MHCC teams for online marketing best practices, content strategy, web design, search engine optimization (SEO), and user testing protocols
- Collaborate with all internal partners to achieve the MHCC ‘s strategic objectives
- Update codes in the CMS using Drupal and ensure seamless integration of content
- Gather user requirements and update the Commissions’ web presence
- Develop and create functional specifications for the website
- Design creative and accessible webpages (landing pages)
- Develop new web sections, maintain, updates and enhance current section and upgrade for current and future technologies for both web and social media
- Create graphics, tables and other elements in an accessible format
- Perform HTML conversion in accordance with the MHCC web content accessibility guidelines
- Perform web design and uses style sheets in compliance with the MHCC overall brand and identity
- Publish content to the website via the Commission’s web content management system CMS (Drupal)
- Provide business systems, network and internet support to users in response to identified issues and concerns
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Software development experience
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience working in web development environments; publishing, creating web forms, updating and managing content within CMS using Drupal
- Experience in designing and supporting static sites using XHTML and Cascading style sheets XHTML coding in Drupal
- Experience in developing and updating content using WET standards
- Understanding of applying brand standards and guidelines, awareness of web content layout, including knowledge of typography and basic graphic design
- Hands on experience using any of the following applications: Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Salesforce, Vertical Response, Google Analytics
- Experience with photography and video editing considered an asset
- Demonstrated understanding of best practices in website architecture and navigation, user interface, usability, accessibility standards and testing
- Ability to communicate in both official languages (English and French) considered an asset
- Able to work collaboratively and effectively with other employees and outside contacts
- Strong interpersonal skills, highly motivated, organized, and detail-oriented with the ability to handle multiple, simultaneous projects and meet tight deadlines and take direction in a fast paced environment
- Experience working in a marketing and communication environment preferably with a focus on digital marketing
- Bachelor degree or equivalent post-secondary certification in digital and internet marketing, communications, or related field
- Interested in social issues and the mental health cause
- Values and Ethics
- Respectful of Diversity
- Continuous Learning
- Results Management
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Oral/Written Communication
- Health, Safety and Wellness (Physical and Psychological)
- Moderate periods of time spent in meeting type settings
- Extended visual requirements (5 plus hours) due to computer related work
- Extended periods of time spent in sitting position (computer work, meetings etc. 5 plus hours)
- High degree of concentration required
- Moderate level of stamina due to work time requirements with some requirements to work beyond 7.5 hour day
- Continuously deadline driven requirements
- Moderate level of multitasking
- Moderate exposure to stress resulting from output requirements.
- Moderate level requirement to maintain concentration for extended periods of time in order to perform analysis and interpretation of data and minimize errors.
- Adaptable to change (organization and work level)
- Moderate degree of emotional intelligence required in order to develop and maintain good relationships, communicate clearly, and work well in a team.
- Performance goals and objectives are established yearly and regularly reviewed.