Nelson Education Ltd. is Canada’s leading educational publisher providing innovative products and solutions for learners of all ages. Nelson values and respects the lifelong learning continuum and dedicates its business efforts to the diverse learning needs of students and educators alike.
The Media Production Services division is actively involved in the day-to-day publishing efforts of the business units. The division is comprised of five functional areas – Technology Services, Pre-media Services, Rights & Acquisitions, Content and Media Production, and Manufacturing Services.
As a web developer you will be an integral member of the Nelson’s Technology and Development division. The successful candidate will work closely with internal teams to develop successful customer facing market-driven web sites for the K-12 business as well as other web development tasks. This key contract position is an excellent opportunity for a web developer to boost their career to the next level.
- Develop web applications leveraging front end and backend technology
- Maintain existing web applications by making changes to code
- Help with QA team by building tools, etc.
- Estimate duration of tasks for input to project plans, schedules, and ticket management systems
- Complete assigned projects timely and accurately.
Required Skills and Experience
- BS in Computer Science, Computer Programming Diploma or related field, or equivalent combination of education and recent, relevant work experience
- Minimum of two (2) years experience developing web sites
- Frontend and Backend Programming and web development experience
- Knowledge of object oriented programming. Familiarity with programming concepts, best practices and hands on development experience.
- Knowledge of QA best practices.
- Ability to analyze and debug code, and fix bugs
- Ability to learn new technologies quickly and is current with emerging technologies,
- WCAG 2.0 Level AA standards,
- Learning Management Systems (LMS),
- Content Management Systems (Endeca and other CMS systems),
- Development tools. JIRA, WIKI, SVN, GIT, Stash, …
- Multiple type of Databases. Oracle, MySql, …
- Servers. Apache, Tomcat, weblogic, ….
- Backend languages. Java, PHP, Groovy, CGI, …
- QA tools. Selenium, Get, JMeter, …
- Strong organizational and time-management skills
- Shows initiative and interest in the industry.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Exceptional at creating and developing relationships over the phone
- Highly focused, results and goal oriented
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to work independently