As our next full-time web designer, you’ll be joining either our Edmonton, AB or Vancouver, BC team.
Who we are
Yellow Pencil is a web design and development shop based out of Edmonton, Vancouver, and Toronto. We work on big content problems for big (and big-ish) organizations.
We collaborate with clients to build web experiences that are sustainable and work for everyone, everywhere.
- We work as a team
- We master our craft
- We keep improving
- We respect and encourage ideas
Working at Yellow Pencil means:
- A constant commitment to learning and growth
- Delivering the highest quality work possible on every project
- A people-first workplace. We want you to love being here as much as we do
- Work/life balance. We like that people have lives outside of the office
- A team of great people that love each other (just not in “that” way)
- An endless supply of fruit and snacks, and the occasional high five
Who you are
We care about our culture here at YP. Your personality is just as important to us as your qualifications. We’re looking for somebody who is:
Interested and motivated
Our industry is changing every second. We need you to be ready, willing, and excited to keep up with it.
Already awesome, but ready to be awesomer
Be ready to get your hands dirty (not with actual dirt. Intellectual dirt). We won’t tell you what to do, we’ll collaborate with you to discover the best way to do it.
Always trying to get better
Training and development is a huge part of our values. We want you to be good at what you do, but we also want you to look for ways to get even better.
Ready to make an impact
The best part of Yellow Pencil? Anyone can help change how the company works. Got a better idea? Shout it out. Thought of something new? Make it happen.
Good on paper
Okay, your qualifications are important too.
- A degree or diploma in a visual design field, or comparable experience
- 5 years experience working in a professional capacity as a web designer
- 2-5 years experience working on web interface design
- 2-5 years experience working with content management systems, either open source or proprietary
- 2-5 years experience with Adobe CS
- You are familiar with WCAG and accessibility standards and practices
- You have experience with mobile-first, responsive web design and front-end development best practices
- You have experience using Microsoft Word (or equivalent) for documentation and report creation and experience working with Microsoft PowerPoint (or equivalent) for creating presentations
- You have excellent verbal and written communication skills
But hey, if your background doesn’t quite match up with this list, but you know you’ll be a perfect fit – tell us why. We’ll listen.
We’re looking for a full-time web designer.
You’ll play a key role alongside our other designers, and collaborate with search specialists, content strategists, brand and user experience specialists, developers, business analysts, and project managers to create uncommonly useful and beautiful web experiences.
- Work with our cross-disciplinary Discovery team to identify business, visual identity and user requirements to inform design work
- Perform Competitive Audits to review and document best practices in web and interface design.
- Work with our Development team to review and document technical interface requirements and to map visual interface to content management system requirements.
- Work with our User Testing and QA team to identify usability or functional problems and then prototype and develop solutions.
The thanks you’ll get
- Competitive compensation rates
- Compensation based on experience and performance goals set in annual reviews
- Feedback based on 360 degree reviews from your supervisors and peers
- Medical, dental, and extended health benefits
- Annual health spending account
- Monthly fitness subsidy
- Annual education allowance
- More company sports teams than you ever dreamed possible. Unless your dreams include more than two