EPCOR provides safe, reliable power, and clean water and wastewater services to the places where we live and work. It's not an easy job, but one that we all take pride in. Join EPCOR and help us keep the lights on and the water safe for your friends and neighbours. At EPCOR, it's about providing more. All we're missing is you.
Headquartered in Edmonton, Alberta, EPCOR is one of Alberta's Top 60 Employers. We have received an A+ for corporate responsibility reporting for five years in a row under Global Reporting Initiative guidelines.
The Technical Writer is accountable for capturing operational knowledge and developing procedures and training materials to support the Work Methods and Field Training.
This position is accountable to the Manager, Work Methods and Field Training, and operates within the context and prescribed limits established by Senior Manager, Technical Training.
One (1) permanent full time position is available.
The Technical Writer enables knowledge transfer by:
- Providing input to the Manager, Work Methods and Field Training plans and directions, and ensuring on-going appropriate relationships with other positions.
- Ensuring the delivery of optimal results against appropriate performance metrics
- Researching, documenting, and updating operational procedures, work practises and training materials (for both online and instructor-led courses including training manuals, reference guides, and field passports)
- Collaborating with Subject Matter Experts and members of the Technical Training team to determine the right content and design, and identifying learning strategies that match learner strengths and interests
- Assisting with creating and maintaining information on the Work Methods and Field Training SharePoint Site and related Intranet sites. This includes writing and developing web content, providing input on site design and layout, and using sites as appropriate to store work
- Using leading edge tools and technologies for learning development, information capture and sharing
- Assisting in developing and promoting Electricity Operations templates, standards, branding guidelines, best practices, and policies that support learning and accessible referencing of information
- Monitoring progress of project work and adjusting work schedule to meet deadlines and provide information that is accurate and targeted to the appropriate audience
- Providing superior customer service to internal and external clients
- Demonstrating a high performance, high discipline, safe, accountable, focused, innovative and achievement-oriented, easy to do business with manner of working
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Minimum Grade 12 diploma or equivalent
- Post-secondary education (degree or diploma) in technical writing, communications (such as journalism, public relations and/or English), education, or equivalent is an asset
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in technical writing, documenting operational procedures and translating complex procedures into instructor-led and online training materials
- Experience in Adult Education or eLearning would be an asset
- Valid Class 5 Alberta Motor Vehicle Operators license
- Effective editing and proofing skills to ensure uniformity of voice, style, usage and grammar is correct and appropriate
- Intermediate skills in Microsoft Office: Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook
- Good working knowledge of SharePoint, including functions as a user and site administrator
- Basic knowledge and use of Oracle Learning Management System and Adobe Premier Elements
- Basic knowledge and use of Adobe Photoshop, Visio, and Audacity will be considered assets
- Familiarity with digital camera use, video, and photo imaging software
- Interest and aptitude in all types of media: graphics, animation, text, audio, still graphics and photos, video and 3D models
- Ability to prioritize across simultaneous deliverables under tight deadlines with a concern for client and business goals
- Capable of applying an analytical process to projects along with attention to detail
- Ability to produce materials in accordance with set standards, guidelines, and templates
- Comfortably and actively researches and finds resources and support materials to solve immediate technical challenges and to grow long-term technical capabilities
- Ability to collaborate and negotiate with a variety of stakeholders to obtain their input and assistance in a timely fashion to support meeting deadlines
All EPCOR employees must demonstrate the following behaviours:
- Taking Initiative
- Taking Ownership
- Focusing on Continuous Improvement
- Adapting to Change
- Acting with Integrity
- Collaborating with Others
Wage: $30.59 - $37.18 per hour
Hours of work: 8 hours per day, 40 per week, Monday to Friday
Vacancy Closing Date: 30-Sep-2015