StandardAero is pleased to present an opportunity for a Bilingual Technical Writer. The successful candidate will join a dynamic government and military publications department.
The primary role of the selected candidate is to translate publications and publication changes from English to French while maintaining the content, context, and style of the original material. He/she is also required to revise, review, and proofread material translated by other individuals, as well as perform translation accuracy check (TAC). Finally, the bilingual technical writer conducts research to provide recommendations for new terminology, including maintenance, updates, and development of existing lexicons.
As an accountable and dependable individual, a bilingual technical writer is also responsible for initiating, executing, and finalizing projects in a mature publications program dedicated to maintaining a suite of technical aircraft manuals. He/she is able to both work autonomously and closely collaborate with a team of specialists, including illustrators, editors, publishers, engineers, translators, and subject matter experts.
The selected candidate will be expected to actively develop job knowledge by engaging senior staff members, learning customer specifications, and applying a hands-on approach to developing expertise in specialized authoring software and markup languages. Successful applicants are also expected to demonstrate initiative, confidence, research skills, and an ability to learn quickly.
- Translates technical content from English to French using approved terminological resources, and researches new technical terminology as appropriate
- Reviews translated content, proofreads information, and performs TAC of content in both legacy and new publications
- Researches, plans, prepares, and revises technical publication text and annotations using approved data from multiple sources (lexicons, technical manuals include instructions on aircraft installation, operation, and maintenance of electronic, mechanical, and other equipment)
- Makes decisions about terminology choices and lexicon maintenance by both working independently and collaborating with other translators and department personnel
- Utilizes translation and editing software
- Consults with editors, illustrators, and other publication experts on contractual obligations, graphic requirements, production schedules, formatting specifications, and delivery deadlines
- Fluency in both English and French
- Completion of a post secondary program in technical communication or equivalent
- Exceptional research, written and verbal communication skills in both languages
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills
- Ability to quickly learn on the job and to apply new knowledge
- Ability to perform both individually as well as part of a diverse team that includes other technical writers, illustrators, technical data administrators, and subject matter experts
The ideal candidate will also have the following qualifications: 1) previous translation experience (two years preferred), 2) a degree or accreditation in translation, 3) experience with markup languages (e.g. SGML, HTML, or XML), and 4) a background in the aviation industry.