Why work for Lafarge?
Lafarge in Canada is proud to provide construction solutions in the buildings, infrastructure and industrial segments. These solutions are built with high performance products from our cement, aggregates, ready-mix concrete, asphalt and road construction, and concrete products divisions. From the use of alternative materials and recycling to renewable energy, Lafarge's focus is to develop innovative products that can contribute toward sustainably constructed building solutions. Lafarge takes personal growth and development to heart, and provides resources for our employees to take control of their own careers. Through our commitment to communities, to the health and safety of our employees and their families, or through the many volunteer hours of our employees, Lafarge demonstrates our care for people. If you want to work in an environment that values hard work, entrepreneurship, and collaborative teamwork, Lafarge is for you. Building Better Cities is what we do. Come Build a Better Career with us!
The Web/Mobile Designer will set the standard for design across the entire application platform within the NASC organization. Supporting the Manager Technical Development, the role will consider usability, cost, system performance and optimization, and speed to market while ensuring the features meet the requirements of the business customer. The incumbent will become the point-person and expert for the overall technical design and integration of the LafargeHolcim application landscape.
The Web/Mobile Designer will be responsible for developing innovative, reusable Web-based tools within the NASC Organization. The role will consider usability, cost, system performance and optimization, and speed to market while ensuring the features meet the requirements of the business customer. This position will make recommendations on the use of new and emerging web and mobile relevant technologies that meet the business objectives of LafargeHolcim. Programming, graphic design and database administration are all elements of this position.
- Ensure schedule, functionality and quality are in line with the business needs and delivered at optimum cost
- Proactively offer solutions and enhancements which leverage best practices while managing enterprise
- Ensure compliance with Group governance, methodologies and procedures
- Estimating time and effort required to execute change requests and system enhancements
- Convert design documents into technical specifications ensuring compliance to internal control procedures and
» Responsible for prototyping, designing for optimal system performance and avoiding system design deficiencies in
the overall portal technical landscape
» Responsibility for gate keeping, optimizing system performance and avoiding system design deficiencies relating
to the overall application landscape.
» Leading collaborative design discussions with key stakeholders across IT and business to ensure design is
consistent, accurate, flexible and scalable.
» Configuring and implementing technical solutions for enhancements and projects approved by the Business
Process Owners and the ECRB (Enterprise Change Review Board)
» Coordinating activities with other teams, where required, including Basis, IT Security, Network and other
- Documenting test cases and executing unit and integration testing of the build code/configuration
- Completing all system documentation and knowledge transfer of the implemented solution to Support Team
Supporting Business/Key Users in the User Acceptance testing where required
» Liaising with project managers as subject matter experts to ensure all projects are delivered on time, within
budget and of the expected quality
» Supporting the problem management process by analyzing trends for recurring issues and propose solutions
Working with Service Management to ensure timely update of solution portfolio in alignment to application
Lifecycle providing technical support to regional and global initiatives and projects
Portfolio of all 25-30 applications integrating with ECC
List of direct reports: No direct reports
IT Projects: Involvement in nearly all ITSC projects and changes related to application implementation,
enhancement or integration. Between 20-30 mid to large size projects per year.
Position Requirements (practice and Technical skills):
- Minimum of 1+ years of Technical Designer experience.
- Minimum of 5 years of hands-on experience in Information Technology
» Minimum 3 years of experience in desktop programming languages, with special focus on C# (.Net), network
development (sockets), and Windows Services.
» Minimum 3 years of web programming experience with ASP/MVC.NET (C#), HTML/HTML5, CSS, and
- Experience in responsive web design patterns.
- Experience with IIS web servers is an asset.
- Experience with GIT for source control is an asset.
- Minimum 2 years of experience working with relational database systems such as MySQL, MSSQL, and
Oracle, and a very good working knowledge of SQL scripts.
- Understanding of file formats, such as WSDL, JSON, and XML.
- Google apps scripting is an asset.
- Cooperatively work with Architecture, Project team and key business stakeholders to adapt to the changing
strategies, funding decisions, risks, and organizational direction. Ability to determine when and how to modify a
selected approach and assess impacts of change on design.
» Able to evaluate project complexity, constraints, risks and dependencies and effectively relay suitable information
to key stakeholders.
» Understanding of IT service delivery and IT Service Management concepts and procedures.
» Bachelor degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Information Systems, or related discipline is required
Position Dimensions (Core Competencies):
- Excellent decision making and problem solving skills
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal including outstanding presentation skills
- Demonstrated capability to work with all functional stream
- Demonstrate customer service attitude and orientation
- Operating system experience:
- Windows 7+, Windows Server 2008+, Mac (for deploying iOS apps using xcode)
- DOS Environment (i.e. command line utilities, batch scripts) is an asset.
Other Related practices Required or Preferred:
- availability to provide 7 x 24 support required
- availability and capability to travel up to 10% of the time
- Excellent Microsoft Office/Project skills desired
- ITIL Service Management certification desired
Pre-employment medical including drug & alcohol testing and a criminal record check may be required.
As the world leader in the building materials industry, LafargeHolcim Ltd and its subsidiaries have the assets necessary to meet the building and design challenges of today’s increasing urbanization. Globally, LafargeHolcim has 115,000 employees, a well-balanced local presence in 90 countries and combined net sales of CHF 33 billion (EUR 27 billion) in 2014. With the most innovative cement, concrete, and aggregates solutions, strong R&D and a commitment to health, safety, and sustainability, LafargeHolcim has the building solutions to meet customers’ needs, from the individual homebuilder to the largest and most complex project. We are committed to drive sustainable solutions for better building and infrastructure while contributing to a higher quality of life. We are positioned to deliver on this commitment.