Sr. Communications Advisor full-time
Competition #: 12-059N
Sr. Communications Advisor
Chief Adminstrative Office
Halifax Regional Municipality is seeking applications for the position of Senior Communications Advisor.
The Senior Communications Advisor provides advice on internal and external communications and input into communications strategies and initiatives, including crisis management; with the purpose of assisting the Halifax Regional Municipality (HRM) in sharing information and building positive relationships with stakeholders. The incumbent implements and evaluates communications strategies that increase public awareness and understanding of HRM’s initiatives; provides advice on complex issues affecting both internal and external stakeholders and plays a role in communicating the municipality’s mandate. The Senior Communications Advisor works with a team of professionals in Corporate Communications; marketing, web-site development and public affairs, as well as staff from the Municipality’s business units. The incumbent helps to coordinate the dissemination of the Business Units’ public information and works closely with HRM Marketing to ensure consistent messaging, branding and outreach. In addition, the position acts as a relationship manager with political, public, media, government and employee stakeholders to formulate and implement strategic communications. The incumbent represents HRM to internal and external audiences as required and provides the public with clear information on emerging issues and matters of interest.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manages the end-to-end delivery of innovative and effective communications products, services, and strategies;
- Provides expertise in coordinating, organizing and/or delivering media events and news conferences, as required;
- Understands and maximizes opportunities from the changing organization''s roles.
- Identifies and analyses potential issues that may develop as a result of municipal policies, programs or Council decisions; and recommends effective responses;
- Develops crisis communications plan(s);
- Provides professional advice to managers regarding communications and marketing issues or opportunities related to corporate or management issues
• Facilitates accurate and timely communication of information on municipal issues by
maintaining positive relations with internal and external organizations;
• Identifies trends in public opinion and media coverage; briefs staff on those trends and
provides strategic advice on building and maintaining positive relationships between HRM and its various stakeholders;
• Builds and maintains positive working relationships with local and regional media;
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Experience
- University degree in Public Relations, Marketing or Journalism and a minimum of (5) five years experience, preferably in a government environment or large organization.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
Job Specific Knowledge
• Demonstrated ability in enhancing internal/external communication and building
• Demonstrated experience or ability to work with elected officials, public, media,
community organizations, etc.
• Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to effectively communicate in both oral and
• Ability to coordinate multiple projects.
• Prioritization of workflow, managing projects, and completing time-sensitive tasks.
• Demonstrated experience in organizing media announcements or events.
Communication, Customer Service Orientation, Flexibility, Networking / Relationship Building, Organizational Awareness, Team Work and Cooperation, Valuing Diversity.
Reports to: Manager of Public Affairs
Other levels of Government
A 35 hour week, Monday to Friday, and beyond those on an as-required basis.
P2 on the Non-union salary scale ($54,000 - $87,000)
Closing Date: applications will be received up to midnight April 23, 2012
Qualified HRM retirees may also be considered for competitions if other qualified candidates are not available, and the retiree possesses specialized knowledge and/or a unique skill set not otherwise available. In these circumstances, a form of employment may be offered, including term and/or contract employment.
As an Employment Equity employer, the Halifax Regional Municipality is seeking to increase the representation of qualified racially visible persons, women in non-traditional positions, persons with disabilities and Aboriginal persons in the workplace. HRM encourages applicants to self-identify.
Please Note: Once you have submitted your resume, an on-line questionnaire(s) will appear on your screen and must be completed in order to be considered for this position.