SAIT Polytechnic is known worldwide as a leader in quality technical education and real world training for business and industry. SAIT’s student Services Department had an immediate opening for a Social Media Specialist. Reporting to the Assistant Director, Enrolment Management,the Social Media Specialist plays an integral role in the enrolment cycle.
This position is responsible for social media interaction with prospective and current students to increase visibility and membership and to generate inbound traffic across all social media platforms.
The incumbent should demonstrate extensive social media experience and become an advocate for SAIT in social media spaces, engaging in dialogue and answering questions where appropriate.
This position will also play a key role in supporting SAIT’s recruitment and retention initiatives. This role is required to be in and around campus but travel is required.
- Provide input into the coordination and development of the institutional and social media strategy for recruitment and retention
- Take a lead role in the execution of a social media strategy with a focus on optimizing SAIT’s use of social networking (including Facebook, Twitter and other similar community sites) to advance Student Services objectives
- Posting relevant blogs and seeding content into social media sites
- Ensuring social media is being effectively used to communicate and support recruitment and retention initiatives
- Implementing new and alternative ways to leverage social media activities
- Ensuring social media tools are kept up to date
- Regularly feeding back insights gained from social media monitoring to Student Services leadership
- Monitor social networks for potential threats or opportunities
- Ensure integration with SAIT’s institutional marketing and communications plans and activities
- Proactively maintain awareness of social media best practices in post-secondary environment
- Develop and implement student blog program
- Proactively and quickly identifies and addresses current and prospective students’ customer service issues
- Provides ready, and sole, access of institution social media vehicles to Corporate Communications in the event of a campus emergency
- Monitoring social media tools, trends and applications and applying that knowledge to increasing the strategic use of social media at SAIT
- Establish and chair SAIT social media user group. Responsible for sharing of best practice skills and tactics within SAIT to influence behaviour, as intended, through social media.
- Work with social media user group to develop SAIT social media guidelines
- Provide expert counsel to SAIT-wide social media users
- Maintain relevant/current content on designated SAIT.ca pages (future students, parents and family, teachers and counselors)
- Backing up other team and Department members as needed
- A related diploma or degree in marketing, business or communications with a minimum two years’ experience in a communication role
- Intermediate to advanced skills in MS Office and Internet browser software are required
- Advanced skills in web development and maintenance are desired
- Excellent communication and research skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work within a team
- Experience in post-secondary recruitment/advising is a definite asset
Successful candidates must provide proof of qualifications. Only education obtained from an accredited institution will be recognized.
OPEN TO: SAIT Employees and the Public
SALARY: Commensurate with education and experience
COMPETITION NUMBER: 63-11-JB ADPS
CLOSING DATE: August 26, 2011
WHY WORK AT SAIT
You will be part of a premier polytechnic with an international reputation. SAIT Polytechnic offers a variety of benefits and services for staff including flexible scheduling, a great vacation package, Christmas leave, personal and professional development programs, access to our Wellness Centre, transportation discounts and more.