GL Sports Ltd. is Canada's largest national retailer of sporting goods, offering a comprehensive assortment of brand-name and private-brand products, operating stores from coast to coast, under the following corporate and franchise banners: Sport Chek, National Sports, Sports Experts, Intersport, Atmosphere, Tech Shop, Nevada Bob's Golf, and S3. FGL Sports Ltd. also has websites for several of its corporate and franchise banners which can be accessed through its main website at www.fglsports.com.
Reporting to the Marketing Channel Manager at FGL Sports, the Social Media Specialist is responsible for developing and executing the social media strategy for existing and future social media channels to engage and enhance our social media presence.
The Social Media Specialist is accountable for monitoring all social media channels, and ensuring relevant content is posted, managed and monitored on a timely basis. The Social Media Specialist is also responsible for tracking, analyzing and reporting on performance of all existing and future social media channels.
- Develop social media strategies and execute tactics to support branded, vendor, co-marketing and tactical campaigns aimed at creating and enhancing customer engagement across all existing and future social media channels;
- Reinforce the desired brand attributes and create positive customer experiences via social media channels and content delivery;
- Direct and update all social media content on Facebook, Twitter, and other social media channels, with support from the FGL social media agency;
- Monitor with the assistance with the social media agency, the user generated content being posted to existing and future social media channels, including engaging and removing content as appropriate.
- Ensure timeliness of response to inquiries posted to social media channels;
- Develop upfront metrics and activity-based goals to measure success of all social media activity;
- Provide post campaign reporting and deliver on-demand reporting as requested;
- Report on all social media channels on a weekly and monthly basis and keep on top of trends, demographics, opportunities and provide recommendations for future social media strategies and tactics;
- Analyze competitor social media activity and provide ongoing overview of the competitive landscape;
- Effectively manage social media measurement tools and provide expertise on leveraging them to the fullest potential;
- Work collaboratively with marketing team to build social media strategies and tactics that are able to deliver both business results and increase customer engagement;
- Strategize with and educate the management team on new social media opportunities;
- Direct and manage relationships with social media suppliers and FGL social media agency;
- Act as a social media thought leader for key internal stakeholders in Purchasing, Store Operations and Human Resources, and reinforce position as resident social media expert.
Required Skills and Experience
- 2-4 years of related work experience;
- Background in retail, sporting goods, agency and/or related area;
- Extensive functional knowledge in social media channels, including but not limited to: Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube;
- Demonstrated understanding of social media strategies and trends;
- Direct, hands-on experience with social media monitoring systems (TweetDeck, Hootsuite, Radian6) an asset;
- Passion for social media, online communities, communications and technology is mandatory including personal participation in social networking platforms and online communities;
- Successful experience managing agencies, external partners and suppliers;
- Excellent verbal and written skills including strong editing skills and attention to detail;
- Strong initiative, time management, and project management skills;
- Knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws an asset;
- Enjoys sports, is physically active, leads a healthy lifestyle and therefore has a strong affinity to the business;
- Due to real time nature of social channels must be willing to work outside of core business hours on occasion.
- Builds Trust and Credibility by consistently adhering to the organization’s business principles and values. Is seen as direct, truthful, and trustworthy by co-workers, vendors, and customers.
- Committed to results by taking personal responsibility for achieving mutually agreed upon individual/team objectives.
- Demonstrates a desire to help and serve internal/external customers to meet their needs. Is proactive, responsive, and focused on discovering, anticipating, and exceeding the customer’s needs.
- Works collaboratively and cooperatively with others to achieve shared goals and objectives. Considers the wider team, function, banner or the organization and takes action or makes decisions which support the success of those groups.
- Recovers quickly after change, disruptions, or mistakes and can remain productive and focused. Is adaptable and can apply lessons learned in one situation to another situation.
Academic / Educational requirements
• Post-secondary education (Bachelors/College degree) in Marketing, Communications or Public Relations