Department: Web Solutions
Reports To: Manager, Web & Mobile Delivery
Salary Level 11: $63,099.40 - $72,709.00
Ontario's Public Broadcaster TVO is looking for a Senior Web and Mobile Developer.
TVO is Ontario’s public educational media organization and a trusted source of interactive educational content that informs, inspires, and stimulates curiosity and thought. Our vision
is to empower people to be engaged citizens of Ontario through educational media.
The Senior Web & Mobile Developer’s role is to build TVO’s Web properties and keep them running smoothly. This includes building and implementing new, interactive Web pages and sites; optimizing for multiple devices; integrating sites with streaming video and back-end applications; migrating legacy applications to the Web; and performing day-to-day technical support and administration of the organization’s Web portfolio. Use of a variety of Web development languages and technologies is required.
We are a not-for-profit, registered charity, empowering people to be engaged citizens of Ontario through educational media. We build educational apps for children, tools for parents, students and teachers, and broadcast our general interest content on multiple platforms. The ideal candidate sees the opportunity to build high profile, social media and video rich showcase sites that re-imagine TVO's mandate for an Interactive and Digital age.
- Responsible for designing, programming, testing, optimizing, and supporting TVO websites to the prescribed architecture and doing this work in accordance with TVO’s project management and software development methodology
- Work with clients (producers, content creators, and creative design staff from business areas) to develop functionality that delivers high quality, high performance, robust web service to customers; Anticipate client needs before they arise and present solutions to management that encompass issues at hand.
- Work with I.T. Infrastructure Specialists on infrastructure requirements and production support issues
- Identify system deficiencies, de-bug and implement solutions.
- Help to establish and adhere to coding and development standards and practices including:
- Participation in iteration planning meetings, providing estimates and solution alternatives
- Implement automated behavioural, functional and integration tests
- Risk based QA processes
- Peer code reviews and pair programming as appropriate
- Version and release management
- System patching
- Research and participation in applicable open source communities
- Deficiency and bug tracking/management
- Appropriate system documentation
- Responsible for CMS updates and implementation, site analytics implementation, search engine optimization, security patches, cache implementation, CMS custom module building
- Ensure security of all Web sites and related applications
- Perform periodic Web site audits
- Stay abreast of trends in software and web development; Conduct research into current and emerging technologies and issues in support of Web and Mobile development efforts. Adapt to and learn new technologies
- Coach and mentor junior developers.
Required Knowledge and Experience:
- 4 or more years of comprehensive experience with structuring, developing, and implementing interactive Web sites; 3+ years web development using a CMS
- Thorough understanding of internet systems architectures and protocols; Strong analytical skills necessary to architect solutions integrating a CMS with other systems
- Extensive knowledge and experience with Web technologies, languages, and tools:
- PHP mandatory; Perl, Ruby, ASP, JSP, Java, or C#/C++/Objective C would be assets
- Codeception, PHPUnit, SimpleTest, Test::Unit, JUnit, or similar
- RESTful architecture
- Knowledge of:
- Drupal or similar CMS
- HTML, HTML5, CSS, XML, XSL
- Oracle and MySQL Databases
- Android SDK or iOS SDK knowledge is an asset
- Thorough understanding of application development methodologies including Agile; Develops using software engineering best practices for all SDLC activities, such as analysis, design, coding, testing, version control
- Expertise with object and component methodology and technology.
- Experience with database development, physical and logical database design, and data conversion
- Experience in gathering and analyzing technical requirements
- Knowledge of coding standards and practices, including web accessibility standards
- Experience developing web sites for multiple platforms and screen dimensions
- Experience and understanding of user experience issues, Internet design principles, W3C standards, accessibility standards, and Windows and MacOS interface standards
- Specific experience with Drupal CMS is an asset:
- CCK, Domain, Context, Taxonomy, Views and other contributed modules
- Omega 3 theme
- Drupal SOLR integration
- Familiar with LAMP stack; Experience with other web development frameworks would be an asset
- Bachelor of Science in computer science, software engineering, information technology or similar discipline, or equivalent experience.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to conduct research into emerging Internet technologies and programming languages
- Ability to present ideas in business-friendly and user-friendly language
- Highly self-motivated and directed
- Keen attention to detail
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
- Very strong customer service orientation
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a cover letter and current resume by the closing date stated.
TVO is an equal opportunity employer and will endeavour to accommodate potential applicants with disabilities through the Talent and Engagement office. Upon request, all job postings will be made available in alternative format.
TVO is committed to achieve a skilled workforce reflective of the population of Ontario.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those candidates selected for an
interview will be contacted.
No telephone inquiries from agencies please