Promotions Producer/Director (English Services) - CAL00402
Status of Employment Contract, Full-time
Primary Location Calgary
What it’s like working at CBC/Radio-Canada
Whether on-air or behind the scenes, here you join a team that thrives on making the connections and telling the stories that are important to Canadians. So, if you’ve got the ability to keep up with the pace of our ever-changing industry, the passion to make the next great idea even better and the drive to make things happen, this is the place for you.
We are looking for an experienced Promo Producer / Director to join our Communications Team in Calgary. You will conceive, organize, develop and produce creative and innovative interstitial and other material to promote the CBC and its programs and program series. The main emphasis for this position will be primarily News promotion but will also include community spots and project highlight reels for online and tv. You will be involved in all aspects of promo production including determining and writing content, shooting, music requirements, graphic design elements, editing and audio post-production. Based in Calgary, this position will support Alberta.
Please note, this is a one-year full time contract position, subject to annual review and renewal.
Conceives, organizes, develops and produces creative and innovative interstitial and other material to promote the CBC and its programs and program series. Work must adhere to CBC program and journalistic policies, as well as accepted advertising standards and practices. Within that context, there is wide latitude for, and expectation of initiative and creativity. There is a regular requirement to coordinate the work of others.
- Meets with clients to discuss and determine the marketing and branding strategy for a program or program series and recommends a creative promotional strategy that will achieve audience targets.
- Determines the style of promotional announcements based on marketing and branding objectives.
- Recommends resources necessary for each project and when approved, exercises full budgetary authority and accountability.
- Determines the content of promotional announcements. Where original material will be used, determines the nature of that material, the platform, or footage and the various technical elements and/or effects that will be required.
- Selects talent carefully to ensure conformity with marketing and branding objectives. Ensure that appropriate documentation is completed.
- Determines music requirements including modification of existing works or the commissioning of original scores.
- Determines and directs graphic design elements. Ensures adherence to the graphic standards established for the master brand and sub-brands in the particular program area. Within this framework, creatively exploits the features of the brand to provide new and innovative promotional results.
- Shoots, edits and audio post-production. Directs voice talent in audio sessions.
- Writes, produces and directs promotional shoots in studio or on location for promos or videos.
- Ensures that correct information is on the promo before it is approved for air (e.g. day, time, spelling, etc.).
- Contributes to the development of promotional ideas and concepts in support of marketing strategies.
- Delivers the required promotional material on time and within the resources allocated.
As required, performs the following tasks:
- Direct sound and/or image;
- Select, re-write and edit promotional copy or text written by others;
- Ensure the proper and accurate clearance of all material used in a promotional announcement;
- Coordinate and supervise the work of personnel assigned to the production of a promo;
- Edit and mix, or direct the editing and mixing of audio and/or visual elements for on-air promotion;
- Liaise with media departments in matters relating to program promotion;
- Ensure that promos are logged into the appropriate information system;
- Contribute to the creative development of print advertisements when the campaign consists of both print and broadcast media;
- Responsible for captioning;
- Responsible for archiving and media management.
What you bring:
- Community College degree or diploma in television arts or equivalent broadcast production training.
- Minimum of five years' experience in promo production at a television network.
- Experience in directing.
- Strong knowledge of digital marketing and communications.
- Knowledge of marketing television and radio programs is required.
- Non-linear editing experience is an asset.
- Experience in news and topical promo production a major asset
- Proven ability to produce high impact creative, on strategy, that will effectively communicate key message(s), pertaining to news, programming and sponsorships.
- Proven ability to be innovative - provide creative solutions over and above traditional promotional methods.
- Proven ability to work with and lead graphics, music and other video specialty professionals, both internally and externally.
- Proven ability to work with and lead crews.
- Proven ability to conceive, produce and edit news topicals in support of CBC Calgary and Edmonton News for broadcast on online, radio and television.
- Strong presentation skills.
- Able to work flexible hours.
- Able to handle multiple priorities and simultaneous projects.
- Able to meet strict deadlines and work within a budget.
- Able to function well in a hectic, fast-paced environment.
- Able to work with and enhance the visual brand package.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and good team player.
- Light travel will be required.
Please include in your application an online link to your demo. In your cover letter, please give an explanation of your level of involvement in the production of the piece you are submitting for consideration.
Candidates may be subject to skills and knowledge testing.
CBC/Radio-Canada is committed to reflecting our country’s diversity.
In becoming the leader in expressing Canadian culture and enriching democratic life, we need to be as diverse in every way as the country we serve, both within our workforce and on air. As an employer, we value equal opportunity and nurture an inclusive workplace where our individual differences are not only recognized and valued, but also extend to and pervade all the services we provide as Canada's public broadcaster.
For more information, visit the Talent and Diversity section of our corporate website.
If this sounds interesting, please apply online! We thank all applicants for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.