PR & Media Relations Manager full-time
Gowlings is a leading Canadian law firm offering a diverse range of services within IP, business and advocacy law to help organizations achieve their business objectives. Gowlings has over 750 professionals across offices in Montréal, Ottawa, Toronto, Hamilton, Waterloo Region, Calgary, Vancouver, Beijing, London, U.K., and Moscow.
We are currently seeking an energetic, detailed, hardworking, self-starting PR & Media Relations Manager to join our fast-paced Marketing team.
The incumbent's responsibilities may include but are not limited to the following:
As an integral member of the Marketing team, the incumbent will work with the Marketing and Business Development Director and be responsible for managing various forms of PR and media relations activities of the Firm by planning and directing public relations programs designed to create and maintain favourable public image in the business world. This position will directly supervise the Marketing and Business Development Director. The incumbent’s responsibilities may include, and are not limited to, the following:
- Acting as the key contact for all media queries, responding to requests for information about the Firms' activities or status and coordinating all aspects of any media interviews.
- Working with professionals to identify and evaluate media opportunities, ensuring that they are compatible with the Firm’s strategic plans.
- Building and maintaining relationships with key media and being the conduit for the flow of information.
- Maintains a strong corporate image by building a national PR and media relations strategy, which would include the development of a media and social media policy.
- Managing external communications through press releases, brochures, handouts, etc., that serve to reach the Firm’s target audience.
- Strategic positioning of the Firm and its professionals with media.
- Supports regional offices in PR and media relations activities.
- Coaches and prepares member of the Firm for presentations, press conferences etc., which would include the preparation of speeches and other materials.
- Prepare various reports, including reports to show media success to target audience.
- Any other duties as required.
- University degree in Public Relations
- 8+ years experience managing media relations, preferably in a law firm or other professional services organization
- Proven ability to develop written materials for distribution to highly public forums
- Experience in public speaking and able to react quickly to unusual/critical scenarios
- Knowledge of how public media works
- Ability to communicate effectively with other Firm members, with the aptitude to take care of clients’ needs in a professional and courteous manner
- Capacity to work independently, as well as in a team environment
- Produce a high quality and quantity of work product, occasionally under tight timelines
- Able to prioritize and to redefine priorities when necessary
- Handle stress in a business-like manner
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including a strong knowledge of grammar and exceptional spelling and proofreading abilities
- Strong attention to detail
- Exceptional organizational and prioritization abilities
- Ability to work well in a team as well as work with minimum supervision when required
- Ability to excel in a deadline-driven environment and willingness to work after hours, sometimes on short notice, in order to meet cut-off dates
- Excellent proficiency with Word 2003, Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel, and knowledge of Hummingbird or a similar document management system would be an asset