ERA is a heritage architecture firm based in downtown Toronto. We specialise in architecture, heritage conservation, adaptive reuse, urban and rural planning, landscape and urban design. Within our office we have four operational teams made up of architects, planners, designers and project managers that work collaboratively and creatively on approximately 75 projects per team.
The portfolio manager will be the administrative backbone of one of these teams. You will triage and divert communications during the day so that our principal and project managers are able to concentrate on their work. You will oversee the financial and business development side of the portfolio, working closely with project managers to monitor and support on-time, on-budget product delivery. Your number one job is to manage the administrative side of the team’s entire project portfolio and stay on top of project progress and billings.
You have a rare blend of financial acumen, persuasive and concise communication ability, and logistical systems thinking. You are comfortable creating spreadsheets, schedules and flowcharts to summarise project information. Your organizational skills are intensely rigorous, yet you have the sensitivity to adjust to client and creative team needs, which will disrupt your systems on a regular basis.
You will be involved in the team’s projects throughout their entire lifecycle, from start-up through the development phase and delivery:
- Prepare project proposals, including scope summary and fees;
- Submit proposals and fee letters to clients and follow up to ensure client acceptance;
- Liaise with project managers and finance team to align billing with accepted proposals;
- Review need for new project phase/additional fees for ongoing projects with project managers and prepare extra service work orders clarifying additional scope for client.
Project Development and Delivery
- Prepare and maintain project schedule and work with finance team to input schedule and associated fees into accounting system;
- Regularly review staff timesheets in accounting system and ensure time is entered appropriately and regularly for accurate client billing;
- Track and monitor any instances of scope creep as defined in project proposals and alert project managers;
- Forecast team/project revenue and review team/project resources for possible shortfalls;
- Provide visibility into the team’s full portfolio through the development of an internal communication system to share successes, highlights, problems and creative solutions.
- Liaise with finance on billing issues and communicate with clients when required regarding special instructions for client deposits, payments and invoicing;
- Manage invoice review process with input from project managers;
- Create supplementary documentation to support invoices if required by clients;
- Manage client expectations regarding changes in scope or timing;
- Manage collections process for overdue accounts with finance, and ensure account payments are up to date before delivering milestone products to clients;
- Convert data into business intelligence as part of post-mortem process to improve project workflow;
- Forge strong relationships with clients, adding strategic value to the team’s business development efforts.
- Exceptional communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills;
- Strong administrative and time-management skills;
- Extremely organized with the ability to multitask;
- 5 years experience in project management, account coordination, or client services management;
- Experience with Ajera or similar accounting software;
- Strong knowledge of MS Office including MS Project;
- An understanding of and appreciation for architecture and urban policy and planning would be an asset.
This is a full-time position with an expected workday of 9:00-5:30, Monday through Friday. Salary will be commensurate with experience.