Online Communications Officer (Term)
Communications and Marketing/Faculty of Medicine
Dalhousie University, one of Canada’s leading universities, is widely recognized for outstanding academic quality and teaching, and a broad range of educational and research opportunities. Located in vibrant Halifax, Nova Scotia since 1818, Dalhousie attracts students from around the world. We inspire students, faculty, staff and graduates to make significant contributions to our region, Canada and the world.
As part of emerging and ongoing university-wide web needs, and reporting to the Communications Manager, Faculty of Medicine, the Online Communications Officer will develop editorial content for Dalhousie Medical School’s website.
- Conduct thorough reviews of existing departmental websites with the web team to quickly and succinctly determine content needs (in keeping with the Dalhousie brand).
- Develop relevant, meaningful content that is optimized for the web including (but not limited to) feature articles, interviews, profiles, newsletters, etc.
- Establish, maintain and enhance complex relationships with multiple stakeholders – from departmental liaisons to department chairs and deans.
- Resolve conflict or disagreements relating to web content in order to ensure web projects receive approvals from clients, and proceed smoothly to meet established deadlines.
- Manage multiple website projects and ensure work is completed in a timely fashion.
- Measure and track progress of web updates provided by clients, ensuring content meets Dalhousie web standards, and is maintained and kept up-to-date.
- As part of a ceOnntralized Dalhousie web team, attend meetings within and outside the team when necessary to discuss and share ideas, projects and initiatives.
Completion of a degree in public relations or journalism program, with at least 3 - 5 years of proven writing and editing skills, with demonstrated experience in web content development (or equivalent combination of training and experience) is required. Knowledge of web usability standards and best practices for the web is essential. Experience providing project management and high-level client service in an interactive development environment is preferred. Exceptional written and oral communication skills and demonstrated leadership and understanding of web standards are required. Ability to work independently and with a group in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment is essential. Experience with web architecture and website development is preferred. Experience with or aptitude for training in a content management system is highly desirable as well as basic photo editing skills for the web (compression and resizing).
As an employer of choice, Dalhousie University offers an attractive total compensation package, including a defined benefit pension plan, health and dental plans, a health spending account, an employee and family assistance plan, and a tuition assistance program.
This competition closes at 4:30 p.m, June 27, 2014.
Salary Range: $46,987 - $63,571 per annum (ADM-05).
This position has a provisional classification; Human Resources will initiate a formal classification review approximately six months after hire.
This is a 1 year Term position. This position is part of the Dalhousie Professional & Managerial Group (DPMG).