Position Title: Marketing & Communications Specialist
Reporting to: Manager, Marketing & Communications Department: Business Development
Salary Range: $60,000-$80,000
Reporting to the Manager of Marketing & Communications, the Marketing & Communications Specialist will be responsible for a broad range of marketing and communications activities including media relations, event planning and stakeholder relations for the Fort McMurray Airport (YMM). This position is currently an excluded management position.
KEY FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Marketing and Promotions
- Assist with the creation, design, development and implementation of advertising, outreach and promotional programs, activities and campaigns
- Assist with the creation and production of organizational publications and other collateral material for internal and external audiences such as the Fort McMurray (YMM) newsletter and YMM Annual Report
- Oversee the development and implementation of the YMM brand
- Assist with marketing research and development of air service (passenger and cargo) proposals and other business development initiatives
- Promote the terminal commercial concessions and services
- Coordinate the implementation of regular ACI QSI, Stakeholder and other special purpose passenger surveys
- Manage updates to the social media policy and strategy to align with communication goals
- Manage YMM’s existing social media tools including Facebook and Twitter including content creation, monitoring, and reporting
- Manage the YMM website including content generation and updates
- Manage the YMM Community Boards
- Maintain internal and external contacts databases
- Coordinate the development of and updates to the internal communications plan
- Manage airport advertising and regularly update trade show displays
- Monitor and record media coverage related to YMM
- Anticipate media interest and prepare key messages and media plans to respond effectively
- Anticipate, identify and respond to issues proactively
- Assist as airport media liaison by responding to media inquiries and facilitate interviews, press conferences and other requests
- Assist in building and maintaining a positive relationship with the media
- Act as the YMM spokesperson when required
- Manage the planning, organization and execution of all airport events
- Lead the handling of logistics and arrangements for participation in support of conferences and trade shows, and collaboration with other organization partners
- Assist with the implementation of the Stakeholder Relations Plan
- Assist with the development of new opportunities to build community awareness
- Coordinate various community outreach programs such as Airport Art and Tour Programs
- Identify and build relationships with key internal and external stakeholders
- Assist with annual and long term strategic departmental planning and goal setting
- Assist with annual budgeting for departmental activities
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Principles, practices, concepts and techniques used in conducting research, developing and executing marketing and communications plans, programs and strategies.
- Methods and techniques of issue and image management.
- Methods and techniques for creating effective media and public relations materials including the use of social media tools.
- Managing consultants and other service suppliers.
- Event management and organization.
- Effective business communications, public speaking ability and correct English usage.
- Airport customers and stakeholders.
Skills and Abilities to:
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships through resolving conflicts in a positive way, expressing oneself verbally and in writing in a clear and organized manner.
- Work on several projects concurrently with excellent organizational and prioritizing skills.
- Analyse problems systematically, organize information and identify key factors and causes in order to generate solutions.
- Motivate and influence others through direct and indirect means in order to accomplish the objectives of the organization.
- Identify and serve customers/clients who may include various levels of staff, government, business and community associations.
- Develop, maintain, and strengthen partnerships with others inside or outside of the organization who can provide information, assistance and support.
- Act with uncompromising ethics and honesty at all time and in all situations both professionally and personally.
- Work co-operatively within a diverse team, work group and across the airport community to achieve both the goals of the team and the organization.
- Analyse, understand, and communicate information at an in-depth level.
- Proof, edit, and review detailed print material to ensure documents are error free, grammatically correct, and communicate information clearly.
- Use various computer programs, software, and systems to complete work, tasks, and projects (email, internet, databases, word processing, publishing, website management, social media tools)
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
- The candidate must have a post secondary degree or diploma, preferably in Marketing, Public Relations, or Community Relations or an equivalent combination of experience and training in a related field with a marketing specialization and experience.
- The candidate must have 3 years of prior marketing and communications experience. Relevant airport or aviation experience would be an asset.
Note: This position description is intended to describe the major duties of this position and is not all-inclusive. The omission of a specific duty or responsibility will not preclude it from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical extension of position responsibilities or as organizational priorities demand.