Competition Number: 15043
Department: Continuing Studies & Executive Education
Employment Group: Admin (Management)
Internal or External Position: This is a Staff/Admin position
Appointment Date: ASAP
Pay Group: A7
Application Types Accepted: General Application
Position Number: A99998
Closing Date: 04-27-2015
Special Terms and Instructions: Capilano University is an equal opportunity employer; this competition is open to both male and female applicants.
Nature and Scope of Work
Reporting to the Director, Continuing Studies & Executive Education (CSEE), the Manager, Business Development, is the face-to-face sales and business development arm of CSEE. The Manager, Business Development has the primary responsibility for business-to-business sales for Continuing Studies, for Executive Education custom and contract programs, and for the sales of strategically significant open enrolment programs. This position is responsible for identifying and developing new prospective business relationships in the corporate market, for evaluating and pursuing business opportunities across all vertical markets, and for developing and implementing a strategic sales plan. The focus of this position is on revenue-generation for the division.
The Manager, Business Development, interacts with local, regional, national and international organizations as both a client and a prospect. This position deals with a broad-range of business contacts within an organization, ranging from senior-level executives to human resources managers. Internally, this position works closely with the Director, CSEE, and Program Managers, in the development and pursuit of CSEE opportunities, including liaising with instructors and faculty as necessary. Specifically, the Manager, Business Development, works with CSEE's Program Managers to develop custom opportunities in the local, regional, national and international markets; develop long-term profitable growth for specific strategic open enrolment programs; and assist in the business-to-business function of Executive Education open enrolment growth. The Manager, Business Development, consults with the other business development/client facing arms of Capilano University to ensure a coordinated approach to key account management and a strategic approach to interacting with key Capilano University stakeholders.
The Manager, Business Development, also manages a team (of 1 to 4 staff) that is responsible for customer service, sales, operations and programs support at CSEE.
- Assists the division in maximizing profitable revenue growth by working closely with the Director, CSEE on developing the strategic sales plan particularly as it pertains to custom Executive Education, Continuing Studies and government contract training; responsible for leading the implementation of this strategic sales plan.
- Formulates and implements sales plans for target markets, products and clients for CSEE custom, contract and strategic open enrolment programming.
- Defines and carries-out core business development activities within selected markets; identifies and proactively pursues new business opportunities, takes responsibility for maximizing profitable revenue and achieving personal sales targets; analyzes market and competitor activity and trends; prepares short and long-term sales forecasts and contributes to the overall planning process of the division; provides input to CSEE's strategic plans and annual operating budgets and revenue forecasts.
- Assists in the development, implementation and utilization of any divisional CRM systems or processes, including developing and implementing the master prospect list ("sales funnel") for CSEE.
- Liaises with internal stakeholders on program and product development and delivery to ensure a high level of customer experience; fosters relationships with potential stakeholders and key decision-makers in the market.
- Supports the existing direct marketing effort for Executive Education open enrolment through the business-to-business (B2B) sales channel; and assists with the creation and implementation of promotional initiatives to promote Executive Education in the marketplace.
- Develops proposals and budgets for custom programs, consortia programs and government contract programs.
- Under the direction of the Director, CSEE, conducts formal negotiations with clients and prospects on behalf of CSEE, including drafting and recommending memoranda of understanding and contracts; acquires new clients while growing business from existing ones.
- In conjunction with the Program Managers, monitors the implementation of custom programs and ensures the agreed-to deliverables and standards are met and the proper documentation, billing and processes are followed; and monitors expenses for invoicing to clients.
- Manages and supervises the customer services team, a team of 1-4 staff in a variety of positions ranging from registration/advisor/reception to operations and programs assistants. Has the responsibility for hiring, performance management, disciplining and overseeing hours of work.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of MS Office Word, Excel, Power Point and preferably Access.
- Knowledge of Executive Education and Continuing Studies markets and programs.
- Knowledge of budgetary processes, including the development and administration of program budgets and sales forecasts.
- Extensive knowledge and demonstrated success in business development, consultative selling, strategic relationship development and management, and proposal and budget development.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written and demonstrated skill in conducting presentations. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with a strong business acumen.
- Demonstrated ability to call on and deal maturely with individuals at all levels of an organization.
- Demonstrated ability to develop, plan, execute and complete multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to negotiate effectively with different stakeholders from various industries, backgrounds and cultures.
- Ability to build consensus and foster teamwork among a variety of stakeholders.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Ability to express views, ideas and facts effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to work well under pressure and to meet deadlines and organizational requirements effectively.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to hire, train and supervise staff.
Required Qualifications & Experience
- Undergraduate degree, preferably in Business Administration or a related field. MBA preferred.
- Minimum of five years sales/business development experience, preferably in an educational or consulting services setting.
- Experience in negotiating and managing financial contracts.