Halifax Regional Municipality is inviting applications to create an eligibility list for the permanent position(s) of Internal Communications Advisor within the Corporate Communications department. The eligibility list will be created and in effect for 6 months and may be extended, as required.
Under the direction of the Manager, Internal Communications, the Internal Communications Advisor identifies communications challenges and opportunities within the organization and develops methods of broadly sharing information to improve internal awareness and understanding of HRM’s vision, initiatives, policies and procedures. The incumbent provides professional communications services to HRM business units and corporate projects and priorities by working directly with managers and staff in the design, delivery and oversight of internal communications initiatives. In addition, the position recommends strategic communications approaches and acts as a relationship manager for clients. Developing and maintaining relationships with internal clients and with other Communications team members is essential to the success of this role.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manages the end-to-end delivery of innovative and effective communications products, services, and strategies for internal audiences;
- Leads Business Unit and Corporate teams in the implementation of internal communications tools and tactics;
- Manages brand values for internal communications initiatives;
- Develops and executes effective presentations and promotions for internal audiences;
- Prepares or oversees reports, briefs, web content, and other internal communications products;
- Develops strategies to integrate social media into internal communications activities;
- Identifies best practices and emerging strategies within internal communications trends and analyses results of new approaches;
- Successfully delivers assigned projects within budget, on schedule, and in accordance with the established scope of work.
- In consultation with clients, produces effective internal communications proposals;
- Works with clients to develop, implement and evaluate internal communications plans to help them achieve their objectives;
- Responds to client needs by providing effective and economical alternatives and solutions for their internal communications needs;
- Builds clients’ ability to communicate clearly and effectively with all internal audiences and facilitates their understanding of effective internal communications techniques;
- Manages and monitors the progress of multiple projects and reports to clients and other project stakeholders;
- Identifies techniques and strategies for forging and maintaining strong client relationships.
Business / Corporate Support:
- Serves as a member of Management Teams and/or provides professional advice to managers regarding internal communications issues or opportunities related to corporate or management issues;
- Works closely with Business Units and/or corporate project stakeholders on annual communications planning;
- Provides communications input to corporate and business processes (i.e. annual budgets and business plans).
Education and Experience:
- University degree in Public Relations, Communications or a related field and five years of experience working in a communications environment within a large and complex organization;
- An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
Technical/Job specific Knowledge and Abilities:
- Ability to work under pressure, meet tight deadlines and manage multi-focussed priorities;
- Demonstrated knowledge of communications planning and research skills;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including document production and editing;
- Excellent customer relations and client management skills;
- Sound knowledge of municipal government and/or previous experience working in a government setting would be considered an asset;
- Excellent computer skills in related software programs including Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Access), and internet / intranet software; HTML knowledge would be considered an asset;
- Demonstrated ability in project management.
Communication, Customer Service, Flexibility, Networking / Relationship Building, Organization and Planning, Team Work and Cooperation and Valuing Diversity.
WORK STATUS: Full time permanent. Eligibility list will be effective for up to 6 months and may be extended, as required.
HOURS OF WORK: Monday - Friday, 8:30am - 4:30pm; however, work outside of these hours may be required to meet the organizational needs.
SALARY: P1 of the non-union scale ($55,000 - $77,000). Salary will be commensurate with education and experience.
WORK LOCATION: Corporate Communications, 3rd Floor, Duke Tower, Halifax, NS.
CLOSING DATE: Applications will be received up to midnight November 1, 2015.
During the recruitment process, applicants have the right to request accommodation. Applicants invited to participate in an assessment process (such as an interview or testing) and who require accommodation, should discuss their needs with the Recruiter when invited to the assessment process.
We encourage applications from qualified African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women in non-traditional positions, persons with disabilities and Aboriginal persons in the workplace. HRM encourages applicants to self-identify.
Qualified HRM retirees may also be considered for competitions if other qualified candidates are not available, and the retiree possesses specialized knowledge and/or a unique skill set not otherwise available. In these circumstances, a form of employment may be offered, including term and/or contract employment.
Auto req ID: 1069BR