July 21, 2014
Information and Creative Technical Services 4
Public Affairs Bureau
The Public Affairs Bureau plays a key role in supporting the Government of Alberta in its ongoing dialogue with Albertans. The PAB provides strategic communications support to government priorities, ministries and cross-ministry initiatives. This includes but is not limited to strategic communications planning; media relations and crisis communications; consultation and research coordination; and, web and social media management. We offer an energetic working environment that recognizes excellence. You will receive training and unique work experiences to help you grow and develop in your field. For more information about the PAB, please visit our website athttp://www.publicaff..alberta.ca
The PAB is searching for a self-starting graphic designer to create strong visual communications solutions for the Alberta government's various channels: print, online, social media and possibly video. You understand the creative process from start to finish. You know how to run with a project brief and develop visual solutions that solve communications challenges. You deliver. Every time.
Familiarity with a variety of media will be a must as you create functional design that's optimized for the medium, and for Albertans. Your exceptional time management, critical thinking and client management skills will be put into action as you perform the following duties:
- Refine existing Government of Alberta templates to meet best practices;
- Work with internal clients to maximize available resources and champion the Government of Alberta's One Voice approach to communications;
- Support a cohesive approach to corporate identity and work collaboratively across ministries to build products that support that identity;
- Develop cross-platform online, print, outdoor, infographics, and other projects as necessary, while keeping a consistent look and feel to government communications and enhancing our overall standard;
- Review ministry design concepts to ensure they meet acceptable standards for visual communications;
- Participate in cross-government committees related to design and communications or to specific projects;
- Work with cross-ministry colleagues to ensure solutions, approaches and templates follow best practices;
- Liaise with external designers to ensure compliance and good design, as necessary; and
- Collaborate closely with PAB Shared Services colleagues.
Your competencies include:
- Creative Problem Solving with ability to engage different perspectives and create strategic solutions for communications challenges
- Systems thinking to understand the One Voice approach and how decisions about communications impact other areas within the organization
- Develop Networks to proactively develop networks, connect with internal clients, and build relationships across ministries
Degree or diploma in a related field plus a minimum of three years graphic design experience. Experience with digital media design is an asset. Experience using Adobe products (i.e. Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver). Equivalencies will be considered.
As part of the selection process, qualified applicants will be required to demonstrate competency and show previous work samples.
$1,995.41 - $2,613.34 bi-weekly ($52,080.20 - $68,208.17 annually)
This competition may be used to fill future vacancies at this level. This is a one-year temporary position.