Graphic Designer full-time
TransAlta is seeking a talented, creative and detail-oriented Graphic Designer to join our team in Calgary. The Graphic Designer will work closely with numerous groups within the company to support an integrated approach to managing the company’s branding and graphics standards across multiple platforms.
The ideal candidate will work well in a deadline-driven and collaborative team environment with experience working directly with internal clients to develop and deliver creative concepts into completed, polished solutions.
The successful candidate will have a minimum of 5 years’ experience in a large company, ideally within a Communications team with strong project and time management skills and a varied portfolio that shows conceptual and design talent.
- Developing graphics and layouts for company-wide print and web applications
- Producing accurate and high quality work
- Consulting, developing and maintaining consistency of design to the corporate brand guidelines
- Communicating concepts from a design, business, and competitive standpoint
- Developing design briefs by gathering information and data to clarify design issues
- Meeting with internal clients to discuss their communication needs from a graphic and brand standpoint
- Contributing to ideas and designing artwork to the overall brief
- Working collaboratively in a team with printers, copywriters, photographers, other designers, account executives, website designers and marketing specialists
- Managing and maintaining the company’s digital assets for design work
- Creating print designs for publications, promotions and other communication tools
- Creating website and interactive multimedia designs, together with the web team
- Attending and overseeing photo shoots as required
- Pre-flights jobs for production
- Proofing design work for clients
- Staying abreast of the latest software, multimedia and technological advancements in the design industry
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design or related field is required
- Minimum 5 years’ experience as a graphic designer
- Mastery of Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator) and experience in a Microsoft Office environment.
- Experience in SharePoint , HTML, CSS, and multimedia are definite assets
- Must have a passion for design, flexibility in implementing design, and a strong sense of typography
- Proven experience taking a project from conception to completion
- Demonstrated knowledge of production processes, technologies and design theory
- Ability to properly package final artwork for press
- Experience in acquiring quotes and directing third party suppliers
- Excellent communication skills, strong attention to detail and skills in proofing design work
- Demonstrated ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and prioritize effectively
- Experience working with a team of designers, production personnel, and content contributors