For 100 years the Calgary Public Library has helped people write new chapters in their lives. Our success at bringing Calgarians together with information and ideas has helped us grow to become one of the world’s largest urban public library systems. We need people with energy and passion to help us make a difference in the lives of Calgarians. Let the Library be the next chapter in your career story.
The Library has an opportunity for a creative, results-oriented designer in its international-award-winning Marketing department. The successful candidate will work in a team of communicators to develop a wide variety of materials, including brochures, signs, point-of-purchase displays, program guides, advertisements, flyers, posters, and more.
To be successful in the position, you need confidence, a sense of humour, and a strong work ethic, plus:
- A diploma in graphic design or commercial art from a recognized program
- At least two years of directly-related experience in a high-volume environment
- Expertise in Creative Suite 4 or higher on the Mac platform
- Strong time and project management skills, and the ability to work quickly in producing outstanding work
- An understanding of designing for offset and web presses
- Exceptional English-language written and verbal communications skills, including strong grammar, spelling, and proofreading abilities
- Excellent interpersonal and conflict resolution skills
- The ability to work positively and productively with other Library staff
- The presence to represent and promote the Library and the Marketing department in a professional manner
The work is interesting and diverse, but this not your chance to illustrate children’s books or study art. You’ll be working in a high-volume communications department in (essentially) a retail environment. There are deadlines to be met, clients to be managed, and products and services to "sell." You will need the ability to juggle multiple projects, competing demands, and changing priorities.
The Calgary Public Library offers a competitive benefits package, with an annual salary of $45,800. The position works out of the Central Library building downtown.