Bow Valley College contributes to the vitality of communities and strength of the economy through innovative adult education programs and services. We equip students for successful living, lifelong learning, and employment in a global knowledge-based environment.
Why work at Bow Valley College? We have been named one of Alberta's Top 70 Employers for 2016. Bow Valley College is made up of employees who are committed to our learners´ success, as well as each other´s. Our staff and faculty consistently say it is the people who keep them at the College, the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of our students, and the incredible support they receive from their co-workers and supervisors.
We are currently accepting applications for the position of Graphic Designer for our Marketing & Communications team.
This position is responsible for implementation and maintenance of the College brand and graphic standards internally and externally to our various stakeholders, including prospective students, guidance counsellors and other student influencers, government, agencies, professional associations, current employees, business community, current students, donors, and prospective employees. The Graphic Designer is responsible for contributing to the development of all College collaterals from concept to completion, including assistance with trafficking.
Key areas of responsibility will include:
Academic &Service Departments Projects - 50%
- Responsible for the graphic implementation of the creative brief, balancing department requests while upholding brand integrity and College marketing & business strategies
- Maintain protocols that ensure successful production of a wide variety of collateral material including handbills, brochures, booklets, college-wide templates (brochures, posters, signs, ads), viewbooks, course guides, folders, annual reports, reports to community, advertising (print, electronic, online), posters, signage, and videos
- Provide creative solutions for meeting objectives and goals for each project
- Responsible to provide technical and creative expertise during discussions with print and electronic suppliers to develop detailed, complex project specifications
- Present, persuade, and justify creative solutions to various internal and external stakeholders
- Responsible to provide innovative creative graphic solutions that align with client needs in terms of creative message, budget, and timelines
Student Recruitment Campaigns - 20%
- Execute the graphic development of the trimester-based student recruitment campaigns, mindful of the College Business Plan, department marketing plans, M+C Plans, and all research on market trends and prospective student personas
- Rely on broad skill set and breadth of knowledge and experience to provide ongoing and current expertise in all relevant media channels such as digital media, online, print, transit, television, and video
- develop campaign concepts
- Present, persuade, and justify creative solution to various to the Director of Marketing and Communications
- Apply concepts to appropriate advertising medium
- Interact with various College stakeholders to ensure accuracy of campaign direction and adherence to creative brief
Large-Scale College Projects (i.e., Course Guide, Annual Report, Report to Community, ViewBook) - 20%
- Under the direction of the Marketing & Communications Director and using such documents as the College Business Plan, the Marketing Plan, and creative briefs, the Graphic Designer recommend, establish, and maintain conceptual and stylistic direction for the College’s corporate identity, brand, and marketing and communications collateral
- The Graphic Designer consults with the Director, and appropriate members of the team at various points within the project
- Responsible to ensure these consultations bring about a clear and concise understanding of the demographic, psychographic, geographic, and project details required to build strategic and effective marketing and communication collateral.
- Guide and/or implement all graphic executions
- Maintain a strict adherence to the creative brief
Brand Management - 10%
- Recommend, establish, and maintain the College's corporate identity, brand integrity, and visual standards on all corporate and department projects
- Rely on broad skill set and breadth of knowledge and experience within the graphic design and marketing fields
- Maintain the College's Visual Identity Guidelines and Standards Manual
- Research leading edge graphic trends and best practices within the worldwide graphic design industry
A Bachelor’s degree in a related field is preferred, however a post-secondary diploma in Graphic Design or similar will be considered
- Four years within a creative agency or in-house graphic design environment
- Marketing expertise
- Video editing and recording experience
- Experience with creating graphcs for social media
- Basic understanding of HTML and CSS
- Expert in Adobe Suite
- Effectively manage multiple clients/partners within one global brand environment
- Successful track record of technical liaison with the pre-press industry
- Proven experience working collaborately and successfully with other graphic designers
- Demonstrated ability to receive and implement creative direction
- Proven experience and demonstrated ability working within budget and time parameters
- Portfolio evidence of working within and promoting corporate brands
This is a temporary position with an expected duration of 2 years.Please note all successful candidates will be required to provide copies of government issued identification and proof of educational qualifications upon hire and may be required to provide an enhanced police information check.