Graphic Designer full-time
The Marketing Department in Univeristy Relations is currently seeking a Full-time Regular-Graphic Designer, Alumni.
The Graphic Designer helps to achieve the university's marketing and communications goals by visualizing, creating and delivering compelling marketing, branding and advertising deliverables through print, interactive and mobile media. This regular full-time position reports to the Director, Creative Services in the Marketing department of the University Relations division and has functional accountability to the AVP, Alumni, also within the University Relations division. The work requires the management of competing interests and deadlines, and the ability to manage multiple projects with shifting priorities. The ideal candidate for this position will have a combination of creativity and technical expertise, both at an advanced level.
Summary of Key Responsibilities (job functions include but are not limited to):
DESIGN AND CREATION
- Creative ideation, concepting and design for print, digital and mobile media
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders to write design briefs, gather project requirements and gather project assets
- Demonstrate illustrative skills with rough sketches
- Production, image-editing, and pre-press and web/digital asset optimization
- Work with a wide range of media, including photography and video
- Proofread and strong attention to detail to produce accurate and error-free work
- Develop and testing templates
- Ensure consistent and strategic application of brand guidelines; maintaining and updating style and standards guidelines documents
- Provide technical expertise in the development of charts, graphs and presentations
- Remain at the forefront of current design trends and emerging production technologies/tools
- Manage, organize and preserve design assets through the appropriate processes and tools (e.g. digital files, photos, dockets, sample-filing, archiving etc.)
- All aspects of electronic print-production
PROJECT MANAGEMENT AND CONSULTATIVE SERVICES
- Consult the alumni department, and provide timely information in a courteous manner, including strategic advice about marketing projects and services
- Recommend how multiple marketing channels can be leveraged as part of a campaign with a single, strong creative concept
- Present, explain and justify ideas and concepts to clients
- Provide time estimates required to complete project deliverables and executing projects within the constraints of cost and time
- Interpret client business needs and completing project discovery to enable effective project-planning solution development
- Work as part of a team with copywriters, photographers, illustrators, other designers, web developers, marketing specialists, and printers; coordinating with outside agencies and vendors as required to ensure all solutions support the brand and the university's communications goals
- Build and leverage an effective network of design professionals inside and outside the university to support the strategies and goals of the institution
- Ensure operation of required production equipment (e.g. proofers, scanners, tablets etc.) by completing preventive maintenance requirements, troubleshooting malfunctions, facilitating repairs, evaluating new equipment
- Regularly engage in appropriate alumni team planning to better understand and inform department priorities and strategies
Qualifications / Requirements:
- Minimum of five years' experience as a Graphic Designer in both traditional and online environments
- An undergraduate degree or diploma in a related field of study such as Visual Communications, Graphic Design, or related field
- Outstanding creativity and an amazing portfolio
- Demonstrated ability to produce innovative design solutions that meet client needs, budgets and deadlines
- Fluency in current graphic design and digital practices and the ability to design "from concept to final artwork" for a variety of audiences
- Strong design skills, including experience devising creative and integrated design solutions within the constraints of traditional media and various online delivery channels (web, mobile, apps etc.)
- Expert knowledge of typography, layout and colour principles
- Experience designing functional yet protected branded templates for common office software (e.g. MS Word, PowerPoint etc.)
- Ability to effectively manage multiple projects/tasks of varying complexities; ability to work autonomously and under pressure, as required
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Motivation and the desire to learn on the job, and a keen interest in the post-secondary education sector
- Demonstrated interest in remaining at the forefront of current design trends as well as production and publishing technologies
- Willingness to experiment with new ideas and tools
Application Deadline: February 11, 2013
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for submitting their resumes. Please note, only those candidates chosen to continue on through the selection process will be contacted.
This position falls under the Technical Job Family, Phase II, but is exempt from the AUPE bargaining unit.
To find out more about our competitive salaries and benefits, and why we are a great place to work and learn, please see: www.ucalgary.ca/careersuofc.
About the University of Calgary
The University of Calgary is a leading Canadian university located in the nation's most enterprising city. The university has a clear strategic direction to become one of Canada's top five research universities by 2016, where research and innovative teaching go hand in hand, and where we fully engage the communities we both serve and lead. This strategy is called Eyes High, inspired by the university's Gaelic motto, which translates as 'I will lift up my eyes'. For more information, visit ucalgary.ca.
The University of Calgary respects, appreciates, and encourages diversity.