Graphic Designer, Creative Design, University Relations (Marketing)
Job ID: 11654
Location: Main Campus
The Marketing Unit within the University Relations division is currently seeking two Full-time Regular Graphic Designers. Start date would be early January 2017.
The Graphic Designer reports to the Director, Creative Services, within University Relations, Marketing.
The graphic designer helps to achieve the university's marketing and communications goals by visualizing, creating and delivering compelling marketing, branding and advertising deliverables through print and digital media. The work requires the management of competing interests and deadlines, and the ability to manage multiple projects with shifting priorities. The ideal candidate for this position will have a combination of creativity and technical expertise, both at an intermediate level.
The Graphic Designer is responsible for the creation and production of graphic design for print and digital experiences. This involves the development of original marketing and communications solutions for multiple and diverse target audiences with an institution-wide impact. He/she is required to manage assigned projects effectively with both technical and professional competence. He/she must also embrace a commitment to upholding, communicating and helping to evolve the university's visual identity standards. Strong communications and interpersonal skills are required to work with area team members and to sustain strong relationships with internal clients and external vendors.
Summary of Key Responsibilities (job functions include but are not limited to):
DESIGN AND CREATION
- Creative ideation, conceptualizing and execution in print and digital media
- Collaborating with internal stakeholders to complete design briefs, gather project requirements and project assets
- Production, image-editing, and pre-press and digital asset optimization
- Proofreading and strong attention to detail to produce accurate and error-free work
- Developing and testing branded templates, as required
- Ensuring consistent and strategic application of brand guidelines; maintaining and updating style and standards documents
- Providing technical expertise in the development of charts, graphs and presentations
- Remaining at the forefront of current design trends and emerging production technologies/tools
- Managing, organizing and preserving project assets by following appropriate processes (e.g. managing digital files, photos, dockets, sample-filing, archiving etc.)
- All aspects of digital and pre-press print-production
PROJECT MANAGEMENT AND CONSULTATIVE SERVICES
- Seeking input from departmental clients, and providing timely information in a courteous manner and strategic advice about marketing projects and services
- Recommending how multiple marketing channels can be leveraged as part of a campaign with a single, strong creative concept
- Presenting, explaining and justifying ideas and concepts to clients
- Providing time estimates required to complete project deliverables and executing projects within the constraints of cost and time
- Interpreting client business needs and completing project discovery to enable effective project-planning solution development
- Working as part of a team with copywriters, photographers, illustrators, other designers, web developers, marketing specialists, and printers; coordinating with outside agencies and vendors as required to ensure all solutions support the brand and the university's communications goals
- Ensuring operation of required production equipment (e.g. proofers, scanners, tablets etc.) by completing preventive maintenance requirements, troubleshooting malfunctions, facilitating repairs, evaluating new equipment etc.
Qualifications / Requirements:
- Minimum of five years' experience as a graphic designer in both print and digital environments
- An undergraduate degree or diploma in a related field of study such as visual communications or graphic design
- Outstanding creativity and an amazing portfolio, with recent examples in multiple media, both print and digital
- Demonstrated ability to produce innovative design solutions that meet client needs, budgets and deadlines
- Fluency in current graphic design and digital practices and the ability to design, from concept to final artwork, for a variety of audiences
- Very strong print and digital production skills that complement great creative design
- Expert-level knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite
- Expert knowledge of typography, layout and colour principles, in both print and digital environments
- Experience designing functional yet protected branded templates for common office software (e.g. MS Word, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Experience designing for the web environment; a bonus if that experience includes the Drupal platform
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Personal resiliency and an appreciation for the opportunity that a dynamic environment brings
- Ability to effectively manage multiple projects/tasks of varying complexities; ability to work autonomously and under pressure
- Motivation and the desire to learn on the job, and a keen interest in the post-secondary education sector
- Demonstrated interest in remaining at the forefront of current design trends as well as production and publishing technologies. Willingness to experiment with new ideas and tools
- Experience art-directing photographers and illustrators. This includes working collaboratively with freelancers, conceptualizing ideas, providing feedback, directing photo shoots and image selection
- Bonus: skills and interest in animation, motion graphics, or video production
Note: submission of an online or pdf portfolio is required for the application.
Application Deadline: December 2, 2016