Shaw is a family-oriented, Canadian owned business with over 14,000 employees across the country, providing services to more than 3 million customers with top quality cable TV, Internet, digital phone, direct-to-home satellite services, and programming including Global Television and 19 of the country’s most popular specialty channels.
At Shaw we believe a diverse workforce fosters diversity of thought and perspective, and more diversity means more solutions. We invite all qualified individuals to apply.
Career Opportunity: Frontend Web Developer, Global News
Shaw Media’s news department in Toronto, Ontario is currently seeking a for a Frontend Web Developer to join their team. This position reports directly into the Manager, Digital Products.
Become a part of the highly-respected Global News team as we take Canada’s fastest growing news site, Globalnews.ca, to the next level. You can make a difference in the journalism of tomorrow with your contribution today in one of Canada’s leading newsrooms. Be present when local, national and international news breaks, contributing to innovative storytelling and helping the team solve real-world journalistic challenges.
- Take projects from conception to completion including but not limited to analyzing requirements, implementing application logic and debugging
- Attend planning sessions and aid in the requirements gathering process and assist in the development of technical requirements
- Follow UX and IA best practices on projects
- Develop new features for and maintain the existing globalnews.ca website
- Work as a collaborative team member in an Agile/Scrum environment
Required Skills, Experience and Qualifications:
The ideal candidate is a problem solver who will stick with a project from start to finish, working with team members to flesh out requirements and then translate them into interactive experiences and functional WordPress templates for Responsive Design enterprise level websites.
The candidate should possess exceptions skills in Information Architecture, Interaction Design, User Experience and cross-platform Front End design. A passion for news storytelling and experience creating data visualizations and infographics are considerable assets. News is a fast paced, rapidly evolving business and as such the successful candidate will embrace the need to acquire new skills and take on new responsibilities as needed.
- Post secondary degree in Computer Science, Design, Multimedia or demonstrated industry hands-on experience
- 3+ years experience building interactive web components
- Experience building websites with WordPress and PHP
- Experience managing sites and code deployments through WordPress VIP
- Experience creating infographics and data visualizations and an interest in exploring new forms of visual storytelling
- Understanding of web analytics (Site Catalyst) and ad serving (DFP) technologies an asset
- Experience with Twitter Bootstrap, BackboneJS and AngularJS a plus
- Familiarity with video streaming technologies, including HTML5 video, an asset
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills
If you value a workplace that promotes accountability, exemplifies loyalty, never compromises integrity and has a strong social conscience then start your career with us by applying now.
We thank all interested applicants; however, only qualified candidates will be contacted.