At Achievers, our software delivers the only true cloud Employee Success Platform™; a powerful new way for companies to engage, align, and recognize employees enabling remarkable business success every day.
As Achievers employees, we are passionate about disruptive technology, welcome constant change, and understand the value of people. We enjoy coming to work every day because we believe in our product and L.O.V.E. our culture. Achievers is more than just a software company; we are Changing the Way the World Works.
About the Opportunity
HR technology is in the midst of a revolution, moving beyond record-keeping functions to the strategic business need for talent optimization. Achievers is at the forefront of this movement and the product team is looking for a leader to take us into the future. As the Director of Product Design, you will help set the vision and design the experience for our entire suite of products. You will lead a team of amazing product designers making decisions for a platform that makes over 1 million people feel good about their work everyday. And because Achievers follows a continuous delivery model, you will see your vision become reality at a rapid pace.
Who are you?
You care about making great software products and are willing to design iteratively to get to the best solution. You’ve delivered complex workflow-based offerings and meaningful analytics solutions that work seamlessly across devices. You can design for different technologies, devices and personas/mindsets. You are current on user interface trends, understand established design patterns, systematic design and best practices, but always feel the need to keep a running tab of what you would do different and better.
You think big picture, but know the details cold. You roll up your sleeves when a team member is stuck on a hard design problem and sit down with them to solve it. You lead with ideas, passion, and delivery. Your team follows you because you are unquestionably great at what you do; and that’s building highly scalable, innovative software experiences.
We might be a good match if...
You’re an amazing designer
Your portfolio is so inspiring that we’d consider you for a staff level position, but your interests lie more in helping others become amazing designers.
You to set the bar high
Achievers ships fast. You know what quality looks like and how to motivate a design team to produce quality with minimal effects on velocity.
You teach the soft and hard skills
You help designers become the collaborative glue that inspires product management and engineering while also building their core competencies at envisioning what could be.
You hire world-class talent
You know that the people on your team make you better, so you hire people that are better than you. You’re able to build the systems for you (and others) to effectively evaluate and hire designers who can take Achievers to new levels of awesomeness.
You're a force multiplier for the entire team
You improve the entire design and product teams, not just your direct reports. As a leader and example-setter you should be more effective when you’re not even in the room. Your processes will be celebrated, emulated and copied by teams throughout the organization.
You substantially contribute to defining the 'what' as well as the 'how'.
You're a product manager's secret weapon. You thrive best when helping to define the requirements, not just translating them into designs. You facilitate and draw the best design ideas from teammates. Analytics don’t scare you, and you know which features can act as force multipliers on your company’s business model.
You’ve shipped product.
You’ve weathered release cycles and know what details matter at each stage, how to motivate engineers to get the fit and finish right, how to translate user studies into meaningful action, and what’s most likely to go afoul at each stage. You can share several shining examples of real work you've shipped, and what you learned along the way.
You don’t necessarily have to be able to build your own web app but you’re fluent in the technologies required to create the framework. Bonus points if you’re savvy in HTML/CSS/JS.
You’re a champion of consistency, quality, and efficiency.
You understand the benefits of recycling design patterns but know when it’s time to improve their design for broader use cases, effectiveness or consistency with the system at large.
You believe in craftsmanship and create elegant and compelling designs, over and over.
Your portfolio has some best-in-class work. You're a walking encyclopedia of microinteractions in use (on mobile, web, desktop, etc), and have nuanced views on how to make many of them even better.
Prototyping is a key part of your toolset.
You’ve prototyped on multiple platforms. You’ve made last-minute tweaks between user studies. You know how to be all kinds of quick and dirty, but dream of better prototyping tools.
What will you do?
- Build and lead a growing team of Designers to create thoughtful user experiences and great looking product UI.
- Provide coaching and mentorship to team members and ensure they have the resources, tools, and processes to be successful in their jobs.
- Drive the vision for winning application solutions, collaborating with Product Managers, Senior Management, Development, Professional Services, Customer Success and Marketing.
- Work with your team, product managers & cross-functional teams to develop static wireframes, lo-fi prototypes, and hi-fi interactive prototypes of the user experience as part of a user centered design process.
- Deeply understand and validate the needs of current and targeted customers through quantitative & qualitative customer research.
- Test and refine flows with internal & external stakeholders.
- Collaborate and share ideas and concepts as a strategic member of a dynamic product team.
- Research the latest UX/UI concepts, trends and best practices, and incorporate them into our practices and design patterns
- 10+ years of UX/UI experience; 3+ years management experience;
- Bachelor’s degree in User Experience Design or equivalent studies from accredited school.
- Proven leader able to build, manage and motivate high performing teams
- Solid understanding of lean startup, agile (scrum/kanban)
- Strong understanding of Google Analytics
- Strong attention to detail and exceptional project and stakeholder management skills
- Extensive experience designing beautiful customer experiences for the web, iPhone, iPad or Android.
- A portfolio demonstrating experience with complex applications (show us everything from rough sketches to high-fidelity designs).
- Excellent knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite, Sketch and other graphic design / prototyping tools.
- You possess an intensely collaborative spirit. You share early and iterate quickly.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.