Founded in 1933, Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity is a learning organization built upon an extraordinary legacy of excellence in artistic and creative development. What started as a single course in drama has grown to become the global organization leading in arts, culture, and creativity across dozens of disciplines. From our home in the stunning Canadian Rocky Mountains, Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity aims to inspire everyone who attends our campus – artists, leaders, and thinkers – to unleash their creative potential.
The Director, Communications has the specific responsibility of creating and managing all messages that promote Banff Centre and for leading and overseeing specific program responsibilities including: public relations, media relations, alumni relations, media partnerships, corporate communications, internal communications and development (fundraising) communications.
As part of the management team, the position advises and assists the Vice President and the Director of Marketing and Special Projects in defining elements of the annual marketing and communications plan and the long-term operation of Marketing and Communications. In addition, the Director, Communications carries overall responsibility for the Communications and Public Relations budget and systems development, and for the planning, day-to-day management, and delivery of a number of communication initiatives.
- Strategic Planning
- Internal and External Communications
- Operational Management
- Financial Management
- Relationship Building
- Employee Engagement
- Leadership and Influence
- Stakeholder Relationships
- Special Projects
Qualification and Educational Requirements
- 10+ years of Communications management experience.
- A minimum of Bachelor’s degree in a related area. Master’s degree preferred.
- Experience in the post-secondary sector, and a strong understanding of the unique mandate and operation of Banff Centre is desirable.
- Exceptional writer who can communicate in an engaging and highly accurate way to a number of different audiences to authentically showcase Banff Centre stories.
- Extensive writing experience of institutional, development and media communications and sound knowledge of communications practices.
- Communications management experience for a large not-for-profit organization.
- Public Relations experience.
- Depth of experience working with the media; understands media relationships and enjoys stewarding these relationships.
- Successful experience with creating engaging fundraising communications with a sound knowledge of the development landscape.
- Experience in government/institutional/fundraising/alumni relations.
- Internal communications and internal communication platform experience an asset.
- Exemplary leadership skills with strong experience in creating and leading teams and motivating staff.
- Strategic planning and budget planning and management experience.
- Ability to analyze, plan and implement at the “big picture” as well as at the program level.
Candidates offered a position with the Centre, in this capacity, will be required to obtain a criminal record check verifying a clear record before a final job offer can be finalized.
Employment Terms & Benefits
In accordance with the terms of employment governing Management/PSP employees, this is a permanent, full time position, subject to a 12 month probationary period.
Working 40 hours per week, the annual salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Banff Centre offers a comprehensive benefits package to its employees. For more information please visit our benefits page.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to fostering diversity within its work community. If you are a foreign national please visit our International Applicants page for more information.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
Thank you for your interest in working at Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity.
Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity, through its third party vendor, collects and stores information applicable to the candidate profile you create when you submit the information asked for above. The use and disclosure of the collected information is for the sole purpose of job search and placement activities for Centre. The information is subject to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. The information will be retained and when disposed of, it is done so in a secure manner.