This is a senior-level position within the organization hierarchy, reporting directly to the Vice President of Clark Builders. The Director, Business Development will have full authority over the business development function for Clark Builders and will exercise full discretion over its day-to-day operations. The Director, Business Development will be the primary point of contact with prospects and customers and will be responsible for: achieving the sales and gross profit targets in new and assigned regions; developing revenue opportunities, while offering best in class solutions for client prospects; identifying, recommending and developing opportunities to secure new account partnerships; utilizing strategic selling approaches to identify and penetrate customers who need our organizations’ services; and researching and analyzing factors to capitalize on market opportunities. In addition, the Director, Business Development will provide guidance to other senior managers and will have full responsibility over business development activities with a significant dollar value.
The business has and will continue to go through significant growth and needs an individual to take a lead role in business development of the Southern Alberta operations. Some of the duties and responsibilities include:
Accountable for executing the business development strategy to achieve growth targets (both top and bottom line);
- Securing construction projects ranging from $1 million to $40 million;
- Leverage existing contacts to drive new business and develop relationships;
- Engage past clients and clearly convey the client’s value proposition message;
- Leverage the skills, experiences and relationships of the team;
- Attract and recruit top talent to support the team and organization’s growth;
- Lead business development initiatives to negotiate work / projects;
- Be the leader for the establishment of proposals, drawing on resources both internally and externally;
- Draft unique and complex proposal packages;
- Implement and execute business development and marketing activities;
- Lead sales initiatives and contribute to ongoing market development;
- Create, monitor and adhere to business development budgets;
- Cultivate and maintain long term relationships and contacts;
- Express a willingness and desire to attend public events and social functions;
- Contribute to Clark Builders commitment to community support and involvement
- Source and develop strategic alliances with specific architects and key client companies;
- Provide the leadership team with up to date market trends and ongoing analysis of the current business environment; and
- Be accountable, results driven with a relentless focus on value add;
- Takes ownership of the business development team and makes it their own;
- Consistently gains the trust and wins the respect of prospective clients, existing clients and colleagues by demonstrating superior knowledge of the sales process, and a commitment to quality and delivery;
- Continues to understand our business, construction costing and technical knowledge;
- Continuously builds network of clients, realtors, developers and landowners;
- Provides guidance in Estimating or Project Management;
- Display an open inclusive communication style through the negotiation stages of a deal;
- Convey Clark Builders high level of professionalism; and
- Work collaboratively with other team members.
Skills & Knowledge
- Strategic thinking—to see the ‘big picture’ business issues of clients and prospects;
- Perform well constantly under pressure; and
- Experience as a General Contractor; Operations Manager, Estimator, and site supervision and management Superintendent.
Minimum of 15 years of successful experience working for a General Contractor on a variety of contraction projects and contract types; Lump Sum, Design Build and Construction Management.
- A Post Secondary Degree in Engineering or the equivalent of a designated Professional Engineer or Technical School graduate in a Construction related discipline. Bachelor of Science in Architectural Engineers is an asset.