The Canadian Red Cross Society, a non-profit, humanitarian organization dedicated to helping Canadians, as well as the most vulnerable throughout the world, is seeking a Digital Writer and Content Strategist within the National Direct Marketing Department. Reporting directly to the Manager of National Digital Marketing, the incumbent is responsible for developing compelling written content that supports all digital marketing channels. This includes writing for direct digital marketing campaigns, social media support, stories about our work and beneficiaries and research for articles highlighting the Canadian Red Cross and our global network. This role will have significant creative input into how we can grow our digital content strategy and the type of content we produce.
PRODUCE COMPELLING WRITTEN CONTENT THAT SUPPORTS DIGITAL MARKETING CHANNELS
- Support the Digital Marketing team and collaborate with Public Affairs, Program and Regional teams and Graphic Design to develop original creative content for our digital channels
- Write, edit and proof compelling, strategic and persuasive content copy for email, search, display and other digital marketing channels and campaigns
- Support social media from a Department of Philanthropy perspective, including blog posts and writing for social platforms such as Facebook and Twitter
- Conduct interviews with staff, volunteers, beneficiaries and other stakeholders to develop compelling and engaging stories about our work and mission
- Manage a diverse workload with sometimes demanding and/or competing deadlines in a fast-paced environment, especially in times of disaster support.
BALANCE A PARTICIPATION AND LEADERSHIP ROLE IN CONTENT STRATEGY FOR THE ORGANIZATION
- Lead the development of our monthly story/article calendar, pitch topics and write articles about all programs and services for our website.
- Generate, champion and implement ideas for new ways to engage our digital audience through content including infographics, landing pages, storytelling, web articles and campaigns
- Embrace flexible writing styles based on the content goals including direct marketing/conversion oriented copy, stories and articles, research documents and social content.
MANAGE ASPECTS OF THE CONTENT PROCESS AND ENSURE QUALITY STANDARDS ARE ABIDED BY
- Ensure content is written with SEO best practices in mind and help execute inbound marketing campaigns with a focus on increasing organic traffic to our site. Help to train other writers to adhere to a consistent online style
- Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the writing style, message and tone unique to the Canadian Red Cross and create copy that demonstrates the brand’s personality, ensures consistency and adherence to brand and content style standards, spelling and grammar.
- Publish content with various Content Management Systems and tools
- Manage the translation cycle for all web content
- Perform other duties, as required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
The minimum qualifications for this job are a degree in Communications, Publishing, Marketing or a related field and 2-3 years of copywriting experiences or an equivalent combination of the two.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Superior writing and editing skills for direct marketing in copy/web/emails to different audiences
- Experience developing content calendars and proactively generating ideas/opportunities for content creation.
- Demonstrates the ability to think strategically and creatively about our business and the non-profit sector
- Research skills and being able to ask the right questions, gather information and interview internal and external stakeholders to pull articles and stories together
- A curious, investigative eye with the ability to translate the complex into straightforward, engaging content
- Ability to actively contribute in strategic brainstorming, campaign development, creative brief development and creative execution
- Understanding of graphic design and a keen appreciation of the interplay between textual and visual elements
- Ability to work with tight timelines on multiple projects simultaneously and effectively juggle different writing demands
- Rich knowledge of digital, social media and traditional platforms.
- Ability to build positive relationships with others and take direction when need be.
- Able to collaborate in brainstorms, push the envelope and offer relevant/emotive ideas
- An eye for detail; confidence in proofreading materials for accuracy and consistency
- Experience with a Content Management System is an asset
- Exceptional oral and written communications skills in English is required. Bilingual is an asset, but not required.
- Must be detail oriented, self-motivated, resourceful, and results driven
The majority of the work is performed in an office environment.
Occasional requirement to work overtime hours, often with short notice.
Domestic travel may be required.
This position requires a successful Canadian criminal record check. The Canadian Red Cross Society is an equal opportunity employer.