Oxford University Press Canada has an opening for a highly creative and self-motivated developer to assume the position of Digital Product Developer in the Higher Education Division. The position will be based in Toronto, Ontario.
Oxford University Press (OUP) is the largest and second oldest university press in the world. Its imprint carries authority, its standards of book production are high, and its range of interests is wide. A department of the University of Oxford, the Press is not a company and it pays no dividend. It is devoted to the spread of knowledge, and all its surplus is devoted to the furtherance of scholarship, education, and research through transfers to the wider University.
With over a decade of continuous growth in the Canadian Higher Education market, OUP has situated itself as one of the fastest growing Higher Education publishers in Canada. As a global publisher, OUP is committed to looking beyond traditional publishing to develop new ways to support our customers.
The Digital Product Developer is primarily responsible for the creation of accessible, responsive and interactive online content underlying new digital products.
- Working with the Manager, Digital Product Development, Media Editors and Acquisitions Editors to create accessible, responsive and interactive online content underlying new digital products.
- Creating authoring templates which enable the Digital Production team to efficiently populate the applications with content.
- Working closely with the Platform SDC to ensure compliance with IMS LTI and REST API standards (or others, as determined by local needs and OUP IT requirements). Work closely with the Platform SDC on platform improvements.
- Creating and executing test cases and test scripts for front-end content; work with Media Editors to ensure such content passes quality assurance tests in a variety of end-user environments and devices.
- Producing necessary technical documentation related to the new applications and digital product.
- Contributing to team digital publishing issue and development discussions such as UI/UX, usability, and user-centered design to make sure processes and products meet market needs and that they are efficiently developed and supported.
- Attending and participating in product development meetings and subsequent correspondence as needed to ensure that project requirements are clearly understood and can be incrementally validated by key stakeholders.
- Producing content walk-throughs and scripts to enable other staff to efficiently demonstrate digital products.
- Maintaining repository of exemplary digital products, including documentation of how the products were created.
The successful candidate will possess a college diploma or university degree, 1-3 years of relevant industry experience in front-end or full-stack web development. Proficiency in Node, npm, Angular, React, Git, HTML5, JQuery, CSS (SASS/LESS), and integration testing and a working knowledge of Adobe CS and Microsoft Office are highly preferred. The successful candidate has the demonstrated ability to work in a geographically dispersed development team. Excellent interpersonal, communication and time management skills are essential.