The University Relations Marketing team at the University of Calgary is currently seeking a talented and technically advanced Digital Designer. This regular, full-time position reports to the Director, Creative Services and has functional accountability to the Digital Experience team within Marketing.
The digital designer is responsible for conceiving, developing, and maintaining the visual design of the university's web pages and other digital assets and ensuring these assets are on brand. The ideal candidate for this position possesses an extensive background in digital design including a combination of creativity and technical expertise, a desire to stay on the leading edge of web design and a passion to continually push the boundaries of visual design in partnership with a team of web developers.
Detailed, creative, strategic, and able to manage multiple projects and deadlines, the digital design role requires exceptional interpersonal communication skills and an ability to seek integrated solutions to project challenges.
This is a fantastic opportunity to be a part of a successful and growing team.
Key qualifications include:
- Undergraduate degree or diploma in a related field of study such as visual communications, web or digital design, or graphic design
- Minimum five years’ experience as a designer in the digital or web space
- Outstanding creativity and an amazing portfolio which includes full digital projects, reusable and dynamic elements and channel focused elements for web, email, social media and mobile
- Experience working within a defined brand, upholding the integrity of principles while evolving the brand over time
- Fluency in current digital design practices and user-testing, and the ability to design for a variety of audiences
- Demonstrated knowledge of responsive and fluid design principles; understanding of the interdependencies and relationships between UX, UI, development and user validation practices
- Strong digital production skills; expert-level knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite
§ Expert knowledge of typography, layout and colour principles
- Basic understanding of HTML and CSS and experience with the Drupal content management system is an asset.
- Motivation and the desire to learn on the job, and a keen interest in the post-secondary education sector
- Demonstrated interest in remaining at the forefront of trends and technologies; willingness to experiment with new ideas and tools
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills are required to work with area team members and to sustain strong relationships with internal clients and external vendors.
- Animation or motion graphics experience is an asset