BioWare is a division of EA which crafts high quality multiplatform role-playing, MMO and strategy games, focused on emotionally engaging, rich stories with unforgettable characters and vast worlds to discover. Since 1995, BioWare has created some of the world's most critically acclaimed titles and franchises, including Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire, Mass Effect and Dragon Age. BioWare currently operates in Edmonton (Alberta, Canada), Montreal (Quebec, Canada) and Austin (Texas).
With a background as a Art Manager or as an Art Director and a great understanding of both the design and artistic aspects of game development, the Creative Director locally supports and manages the careers of designers, writers, art directors, artists and animators. As part of the senior management team, the Assistant Director will help shape the future of these departments within the Edmonton studio.
- Responsible for the management of all members of the Art & Animation and Design departments located within BioWare Edmonton
- Provide coaching and mentoring to the different sub-discipline leads who report into him
- Advise team members on technical and creative issues
- Identifies career opportunities; grows staff capability; establishes staff profiles, performance and training standards, staff planning, succession planning, and compatibility; works with Human Resources regarding Career Growth/Succession Planning
- Drives artists, animators and designers recruiting; works with HR/Recruiting to ensure we hire top talent
Required Technical Skills and Experience
- Demonstrated leadership abilities
- Extensive experience leading medium to large group of creative team members, either in Art, Animation or Design
- Project management skills demonstrated by the ability to define and estimate tasks in a well organized manner, based on proper resource and time management
- Excellent problem solving skills. Candidate must be able to quickly identify issues and resolve them.
- Must have a thorough understanding of the key aspects of game development including detailed knowledge of pre-production, production and post-production
- Working knowledge in at least one of the disciplines of Art, Animation and Design
- must be able to understand any task performed by lead designers, lead animators and art directors
Nice to have:
- The ideal candidate has shipped at least three video game titles; and has a minimum of eight years of experience in the video game or related industry
- Avid gamer with a passion for creating industry leading top-quality games
- Fluency with graphics tools such as 3ds Max, ZBrush, MotionBuilder and Photoshop
- Education: University degree or equivalent professional experience and training
Performance Competencies (Non Technical Skills)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to foster a dynamic and collaborative team environment
- Constantly innovate to improve product quality, group productivity and employee satisfaction
- Excellent decision making capabilities
- Demonstrates dependability and commitment to projects/tasks
Does this sound like you?
Salary offered: $90,000 - $120,000