Do you have a sixth-sense for knowing what makes a great story, a nose for trouble brewing, and a talent for setting out winning strategies?
If you have been working at a senior level in media relations and/or issues management for a large organization the City of Edmonton Communications Branch has an opportunity you may find interesting.
Communications Branch clients include City departments, Councillors, Mayor’s Office, and Office of the City Manager. In this fast-paced, multi-stakeholder environment, managing issues requires sensitivity, tact and creativity.
As Edmonton moves onto the national and international stage our reputation is our currency. Be part of a team that is building a strong image and brand that reflects the qualities that make Edmontonians love their city, and lets the rest of the world know why we feel this way.
This newly created role will report directly to the Chief Communications Officer and will work across the City to provide strategic advice and to promote the City of Edmonton to local, national and international media. Key responsibilities include:
- Developing, implementing and evaluating media relations strategies to maximize opportunities and minimize risk
- Providing communications advice to the Chief Communications Officer and Corporate Leaders on issues that have the potential to affect the reputation of the City
- Monitoring public perception to identify current and potential issues, opportunities and media trends
- Coordinating responses to external issues for the Chief Communication Officer, Corporate Leadership Team and senior management through the preparation of briefing documents, messages and background materials
- Identify and exploit opportunities to further a positive image of Edmonton through media relations
To visualize what it is like to be on our team, visit The City of Edmonton Communications Talent Hub
- University degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism or a related area, or an equivalent combination of experience and education
Minimum of ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience in one of the areas of communications, public relations or journalism
Previous media relations/issues management experience within government is highly desirable
Hours of Work: 36.90 Hours per week, Monday - Friday. Hours of work may be subject to the terms and conditions of a variable hours of work program
Salary Range: 91M, Salary Grade: PT4, $94,986 - $135,694 (Annually)
- Applicants may be tested
- The City of Edmonton thanks applicants for their interest in this opportunity. Candidates considered for the position will be contacted
- We are an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity and encourage applications from all qualified individuals
The Province of Alberta is a party to the federal Agreement on Internal Trade, the Trade, Investment and Labour Mobility Agreement with British Columbia, and the New West Partnership Trade Agreement with British Columbia and Saskatchewan. All of these agreements promote labour mobility between the provinces. Applicants may obtain information regarding recognition of extra provincial credentials at www.newwestpartnershiptrade.ca/