What's Bench? Check us out in Forbes Top 30 Under 30, The Vancouver Sun, Lifehacker, BC Business Magazine, TechCrunch, and our Instagram.
We're a laid back group of people working hard on a tough problem. Bookkeeping is a universal point of pain for passionate entrepreneurs trying to pursue their dreams. They want to run their businesses, not do accounting, so we make that disappear. While the appeal of bookkeeping may seem lacking, we genuinely believe that solving fundamental business problems is anything but bland.
When you throw in with us you're not only joining a company that’s changing the way business is done, you're joining at an inflection point. Bench is post Series B, capitalized by a team of Silicon Valley and New York investors. We’re scaling fast and we’re not slowing down anytime soon. In just a few short years, we’ve grown from four co-founders to over 200 Benchmates. It’s been quite the ride so far and we’re looking for the brightest minds who love solving tough problems to join us on this incredible leg of our journey.
What’s the writing team like at Bench?
Great copy changes lives. Poor copy ruins brands. A true craftsperson understands that every breath, every action, and every word must be shared with intent. From a simple tweet to an in-depth feature, we believe that all content must add value.
Our mission at Bench is to help entrepreneurs enjoy financial and lifestyle independence. This mission is deeply embedded into the content that we share with the world.
From articulate web copy, to concise features on The Bench Blog, easy to understand explainers in Bench Support and the Small Business Syllabus, and crisp social media posts—everything we produce is designed to educate, enable, and empower entrepreneurs as they achieve the lifestyle they desire for themselves.
It may be hard to believe that an online bookkeeping service could change lives. But the reactions we get from clients—from tears of relief, emphatic thanks, major press and accolades, and even marriage proposals—suggest that we are, one entrepreneur at a time.
As we continue to grow, our writing team needs to scale to keep up. This is where you come in.
What does the Copywriter role entail?
Working in the Brand Team, you’ll play a key role in crafting written copy for multiple departments within our organization. Your skills will be applied to a variety of projects. One day you’ll find yourself creating effective landing page copy with the Client Experience team. The next, you’ll be working with an Operations Manager to update Bench’s support content. As our resident copywriting expert, you will directly influence and uphold the quality of written communication across the entire brand.
Here are some of the things you’ll be getting up to:
- Developing an innate understanding of—and then writing for—multiple target audiences in the Bench voice
- Applying superb writing skills to deliver content across multiple formats, including: website, email, digital banner, technical, and educational content
- Collaborating and producing content for all departments
- Managing several projects simultaneously and delivering to tight deadlines
- Writing sales and technical copy for Bench departments and external teams
You’ll fit in well if you:
- Have 2+ years of copywriting experience (agency or freelance)
- Have a working knowledge of small business ownership and the gig economy
- Have a portfolio that displays prowess in web copy, support copy, and social copy
- Enjoy using research, communication, and analytical skills to solve complex business challenges
- Run a tight ship
- Are a stickler for grammar, spelling, and concise communication
- Bonus points if you have an interest in tech and small business
The extra details:
- This is a full-time position, because we want to spend lots of time with your wonderful self
- Our office is located in downtown Vancouver and easily accessible via transit
- This position offers an annual salary and stock options based on experience
- We offer an extended benefits package that includes health, dental, vision, massage, and a Wellness Fund
- Best of all, you get to play fetch with our resident Wheaten Terrier, Zoe Deskennel