Position Type/ Hours:
This is a temporary full-time position working thirty-five (35) hours per week for approximately six (6) months within the Public Affairs Branch of the Communications and Stakeholder Relations Department.
The Public Affairs Coordinator is a key member of the Public Affairs team, who is able to support projects in partnership with both internal and external stakeholders. This is accomplished through the development of a strong corporate network and responsive and professional communication. Primary responsibilities of this position include:
Project Management: The Public Affairs Coordinator supports a variety of projects within the Communications and Stakeholder Relations Department. Supporting large complex projects in support of the Municipality’s goals and acts as the Municipality’s representative. Develops reports and project related content, sets up meetings, and other project responsibilities as needed.
Advice and Expertise: Provides expertise, leadership and advice to other departments in the organization in relation to Public Engagement Strategy and delivery. In addition, providing expertise and advice, as needed to build, enhance and support strategic partnerships and relationships. Support to other departments in creating content, strategy and advice in relation to a variety of initiatives.
Project Support and Analysis: Assists with overall program service delivery with direct involvement in daily operations and overall administration. Researches and assists with the development and implementation of departmental strategies, tools, administrative directives based on best practices for continuous improvement.
- Degree in Public Relations, Communications, or related discipline from a recognized Post-Secondary Institution.
- Three (3) years’ experience working in Public Affairs, Community Engagement, Stakeholder Relations or a related field. Experience must include working on large projects.
- Experience working in a public sector environment considered an asset.
- Equivalent combination of education and work experience may be considered.
- Ability to obtain IAP2 Certification.
You will possess the following:
- Strong understanding of Public Engagement principles.
- Strong political and community awareness/acumen, tact and diplomacy skills.
- Demonstrated experience or ability to work with elected officials, public, and community organizations, etc.
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Project Management skills, and the ability to work in a team on complex projects through the project life cycle.
- Experience writing, and familiarity with public relations and marketing principles.
- Experience in contributing content for communications and community engagement plans.
- Ability to multi-task and handle competing priorities; and to achieve self-set goals and targets with independent initiative.
- Demonstrated organizational, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to be creative and flexible in a team environment and work independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience planning events and conferences would also be considered an asset.
- Valid Alberta Class Five (5) Driver’s Licence is required as incumbent may be required to operate a personal or municipal vehicle for business use (clear driving record is an asset).
In addition to the rate of pay, we offer:
- an additional bi-weekly payment of $480 which represents a cost of living allowance
Requisition Number: 004581
Closing Date: October 2, 2015 at 11:59 PM
Posting Type: Internal & External
We appreciate the interest of all applicants; however, only those individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
Late applications will not be accepted.