The Communications Writer will support corporate growth and engagement strategies through improved internal and external communications by working within the regular communications rhythms of the company including monthly, quarterly, annual and periodic corporate communications to shareholders, the Board of Directors, executive management, operational units and employees within Flint. The key scope of the role will be to research, summarize, and prepare high quality written content material for multiple audiences. This position will report to the Manager of Communcations and will work out of our Sherwood Park corporate office.
The successful candidate will perform the following functions:
- Assist internal functional departments and operations units within Flint with professional research, creative writing, and grammar checks.
- Review and maintain content of the organization's three main portal pages on the intranet site, as well as the Communications site.
- Assist in developing appropriate content for the company’s external website, as well as working with functional departments to upload content on to the external web site.
- Working with a media monitoring application, review digital publications and media releases for information on the company, its markets, competitors and customers and distribute this information within the company to various internal stakeholders.
- Research and recommend best practices in corporate communications in similar industries.
- Review and summarize current trends in use of social media and other digital communications, and recommend content as required.
The Communications Writer Role will:
- Be a strong contributor of articles going to internal and external stakeholders and should therefore be a professional communications writer.
- Require a good deal of independent work, with periodic review of finished work and work in progress by the Manager of Communications.
- Interact with internal and external audiences to create internal and external articles, with feedback either directly or through the Manager of Communications or the VP of Communications.
- Maintain Flint’s external web site, so a strong background in writing for on-line readers is an asset as well as being familiar with Dreamweaver usage.
- Report web site analytics to the Manager of Communications therefore should will be familiar with on-line google analytics and search engine optimization strategies.
- Receive direction via the Manager of Communications from the Corporate Advisory Team (CAT) which advises on the corporate communications’ strategy.
Please note: This role has the ability to sit in either Calgary or Sherwood Park, Alberta Corporate offices. Preferred location will be Sherwood Park.
Periodic visits to the Calgary Head Office and/or project work site may be required. Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) requirements and Safety rules of each site must be adhered to at all times. Further, periodic travel to Flint operating locations within Canada and the United States may be required, so drivers license and valid Passport will be required.
- Bachelors degree in Communications, English Literature or related field or equivalent certification and work experience.
- Minimum of five years work in business communications experience required.
- Design layout experience for print and electronic communications an asset
- Experience with Microsoft Office applications including Word, Publisher, Outlook, Excel, and Powerpoint
- Experience with website design using Dreamweaver or other web publishing software, Adobe Acrobat Professional, Photoshop, Sharepoint 2007,
- Above average, professional writing skills for business communications.
- Experience in the development and maintenance of digital and social media communications applications would be an asset