Working for The City of Calgary: Would it 'work' for you?
There are more than 13,000 City of Calgary employees, with more than 13,000 reasons they've chosen to work here.
Come join us. The City of Calgary's employee team, the cornerstone of a community where new people and new ideas are welcomed, and the quality of life is valued above all else.
Recognized as a global leader in municipal excellence, The City of Calgary provides more than 500 services and programs. That means there are many opportunities here for challenging, satisfying and rewarding employment.
As an employer, The City sets a refreshing new standard in personalized work-life balance: flexible schedules, an attractive benefits plan, education and training programs, advancement possibilities, and above all, the opportunity to make your mark in the community you've chosen as your home.
You'll find a full listing of positions currently available with The City of Calgary at calgary.ca/careers.
The City of Calgary Career Opportunity
Reference # 113844
Closing date: August 18, 2011
Business unit information
A fast-paced and innovative business unit, Customer Service & Communications (CSC) fosters an environment of ongoing learning in order to communicate effectively with Calgarians and employees. CSC supports 29 business units by providing a range of customer, communications and marketing services, such as Canada's first 3-1-1 operation, communication planning, issue and crisis communications, media relations, employee communications and engagement consultation, as well as creative services, including writing, graphic design, website management, multi-media production and media buying. See www.calgary.ca/csc for more information.
Corporate Employee Communications has an opportunity for a highly motivated individual to fill the role as the Communications Specialist. Responsibilities include:
- Generate daily news articles, employee profiles, video interviews and photographs.
- Create, edit, manage, review and approve content to City content standards.
- Handle resource co-ordination, information gathering, writing and editing for a variety of mediums and audiences, including project materials, intranet and Web content, presentations and communication materials (bulletins, newsletters, reports, presentations).
- Support the delivery of strategic communications plans.
- Assist in monitoring progress of communications to ensure results are delivered on time and integrated with other departments.
- Co-ordinate, update and provide reports for the Corporate Employee Communications production schedule (currently using SharePoint 2009).
- Use communications data collection and measure effectiveness of the communications efforts.
- Promote all corporate communication channels while partnering and collaborating with team members to deliver high quality corporate employee communications.
The successful applicant must possess a diploma (equivalent to 2-3 years full-time study) in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, Business or a related field, with a minimum three years of related experience. Preference may be given to those who possess a degree. Intermediate proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint) is required. Experience with social media applications, Adobe Creative Suite, technical knowledge and competency in HTML and the use of content management systems would be considered an asset. Success in this position requires strong professional writing/editing abilities, communication, interpersonal, organizational and team skills. Must have an excellent understanding of business practices and stakeholder/public relations.
Successful applicants must provide proof of qualifications. Only education obtained from an accredited institution will be recognized as meeting the minimum qualifications.
- More than one position may be filled from this competition.