Reporting to the Director, Marketing & Communications, the Communications Specialist is responsible for day-to-day content generation and coordination to help employees understand our business and the role they play. The successful candidate will be an accomplished writer and editor, and be able to create strong working relationships with others in the organization at all levels in all departments.
This position is safety sensitive, and as such requires pre-employment drug and alcohol testing.
- Formulate and implement strategies for Horizon North’s internal communications requirements, in alignment with overall company strategy and business objectives.
- Support external communications requirements.
- Manage the intranet by sharing company news on a regular basis.
- Create an editorial calendar to ensure all company business units and support groups are profiled on the intranet and on “e-bulletin boards” (office monitors).
- Work with the Marketing Design Coordinator to create a print newsletter.
- Drive traffic/employees to the intranet.
- Review intranet site analytics to identify popular content and make adjustments to improve results.
- Assist in drafting CEO monthly emails to staff.
- Organize employee town hall sessions and help craft related content.
- Work with various business units to assist with their internal communications needs.
- Translate complex business concepts into content employees can understand.
- Drive innovation to ensure that the internal communication processes and channels are best of breed and improve employee engagement and internal reputation management.
- Draft and edit various internal and external communications.
- Manage the enhancement and articulation of the corporate brand, ensuring that all brand building executions adhere to corporate brand guidelines and reinforce Horizon North’s desired positioning.
- Develop Horizon North’s messages to ensure accurate and consistent communications are provided.
- Other tasks as assigned.
Required education and experience
- Post-Secondary education with diploma or degree in communications, journalism, or related field;
- 5+ years of f experience in corporate communications with experience specifically in internal communications;
- Strong writing and editing skills; and
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Outlook, Word) and SharePoint.
Required skills and abilities:
- Comfortable working with deadlines and multiple projects in parallel;
- Meticulously organized and task driven;
- Ability to perform effectively both independently and in a team oriented environment;
- Ability to adapt to change and work in a fast paced environment;
- Ability to work effectively in an integrated communications, marketing and business development team;
- Friendly and personable with exceptional customer service abilities;
- Proven ability to foster strong team integration throughout the organization; and
- Ability to effectively communicate efforts and inspire brand support internally, as well as externally.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified.