Sobeys is 100% Canadian! We have over 1,300 locations in more than 800 communities. Whether it's your first job or you're ready for a new challenge, we have CAREERS that fit your life.
With over $16 billion in annual sales, Sobeys Inc. is one of only two national grocery retailers in the country. We offer retail careers under our grocery banners of Sobeys, IGA, Foodland, Thrifty Foods, FreshCo, and Price Chopper as well as healthcare careers within Lawtons Drugs and Sobeys Pharmacy Group. Our stores are supported by a community of dedicated, hard working employees in our regional offices and an industry leading distribution network.
"If you love what you do and you do it well and you're looking for a fast, dynamic environment where you get to work with a lot of people in your peer group, where it can actually be a little bit social, where you can perform and have fun, this is a pretty cool place to work."
Bill McEwan President & CEO
Do you have a taste for a communications career in the grocery industry? We're looking for someone who has a zest for writing and is highly detail oriented to join our Communications team for six months.
Reporting to the Director of Communications - West Region, you will be primarily responsible for the development, implementation and evaluation of employee communication programs for Sobeys West including writing and editing news stories for electronic and paper media and ensuring production and distribution of communication materials.
As a member of the Communications team you will also work with internal clients to develop, implement and evaluate communications plans that reach both internal and external audiences; coordinate and assemble meeting presentations; assist with issues management and crisis communications as required; and liaise with Communications and Corporate Affairs regarding national communication initiatives.
The ideal candidate has three to five years of corporate communications experience. Utilizing your excellent self-starter and leadership skills, you will manage up to several communications initiatives at one time.
- Post secondary degree or diploma in Journalism, Communications or Public Relations (or equivalent job experience)
- Minimum three years of corporate communications (or related) experience
- Superior writing and editing skills
- Must be highly detail oriented with an ability to manage competing priorities and work effectively individually and in a team environment
- Experience writing for the Web
- Experience creating presentations
- Project management ability
- Media Relations - Knowledge of media relations including media kit development, follow up and coverage analysis
- Strong presentation and interpersonal skills
- Strong computer and Internet skills
- Proficient in use of Microsoft office suite
- Experience in special event planning and sponsorship
- Experience with Adobe PhotoShop and/or other graphic design programs