Communications Specialist contract
At TransCanada we dream big, think big and do big things. For over 60 years, we've had the vision and scale to deliver big things that matter to the world. From supplying reliable and efficient energy to millions of North Americans with our pipelines, gas storage and power generation facilities, we believe in making big things possible.
TransCanada is looking for people who are willing to think about the future...and think big. We're looking for people who are ready to take on the most significant challenges of their careers and define energy infrastructure in North America.
TransCanada's Stakeholder Relations Department is seeking an External Communications Specialist. Reporting to Team Lead, External Communications, the successful candidate is a seasoned communications professional who is familiar with a broad range of communications strategies and approaches. These are exciting times for a communicator at TransCanada with support needed for new projects that have garnered significant attention across North America. The successful candidate would also play a key role in supporting communications with respect to the company's multi-billion dollar capital program.
*This is a one year contract position with the possibility of extension.
*We anticipate filling this position locally and therefore this position is not eligible for Domestic or Cross Border relocation.
In addition to providing key strategic support and tactical execution, this role will provide advice, direction and help translate company strategy, objectives and initiatives into communication materials that foster audience understanding of who TransCanada is and what it is focused on achieving.
Specific Duties include:
- Manage strategic communications for select TransCanada initiatives;
- Contribute to the development and delivery of communications plans (projects, issues
management, media relations);
- Act as a consultant to internal, senior level clients by providing communications advice, coaching and highlighting communications risks to help ensure the company's strategic objectives are achieved;
- Develop key messages and talking points;
- Support the media relations leads in the development of corporate media releases and advisories;
- Generate proactive opportunities to discuss who TransCanada is and what the company does, with a focus on the company's current multi-billion capital growth program;
- Carry a rotational pager and act as a member of a corporate emergency response team;
- Function as a member of the crisis response team (when appropriate).
Education and Qualifications:
- Seasoned communications professional with strong verbal communication skills;
- Skilled writer and organizer, responsible for ensuring a quality of communications for the company and able to write in a variety of styles;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Strong presentation skills;
- Ability to have work assigned in terms of broad objectives to be accomplished and completed in an independent manner;
- Strategic thinker, able to weigh issues and recommend effective solutions;
- Team player - responsible for building rapport with team members and internal business partners;
- A customer service focus;
- Ability to work under the pressure of tight deadlines;
- Must be flexible and able to work overtime when necessary;
- Bilingualism is not required but would be considered an asset.
- Journalism, Public Relations, or other communications-related degree or diploma;
- Minimum of 3-5 years experience in various aspects of external communications;
- Experience working in a corporate, investor-owned environment is an asset;
- Energy industry experience is an asset;
- Accreditation with the International Association of Business Communicators (IABC) or the Canadian Public Relations Society (CPRS) is considered an asset.
*Depending on the qualifications of the applicants, the successful candidate may be offered a position at a more appropriate level and/or career ladder.
*Depending on emerging project needs, more than one position may be filled from this posting.